Apply to move to a different council property

You can apply to move to a different council property if the one you're living in isn't suitable for your household

Who can apply

If you're a council or housing association tenant living in Brighton & Hove, you can apply to move to another council or housing association property. This is called transferring.

You can apply for a transfer if:

  • your current home is too big or small for your family
  • you or someone living with you has a medical condition made worse by your current housing
  • you need seniors housing
  • you need to move to give or receive care

If you want to move to smaller property because you have one or more bedrooms you no longer need, you should apply for our Transfer Incentive Scheme.

You may not be able to apply for a transfer if you've broken the rules of your tenancy agreement.

How to apply

You can apply for a transfer as part of the application to join the housing register.

If you're already on the housing register, you can log in to Homemove and choose the 'submit a change of circumstances' option.

If you need help with your application, call us on 01273 294 400 and choose option 1.