Before you start your application, read our Swap your council or housing association home page.
How to apply
Only one Brighton & Hove council tenant should take the role of lead tenant for each mutual exchange application.
You need to tell all other households involved in the exchange that we're going to send them their parts of the application.
Everyone must complete their parts of the application then return it to us. We'll then review all the information and make a decision within 42 calendar days.
What you'll need to apply
In your lead tenant part of the application, you'll need to provide email addresses for:
- one of the people moving into your current address
- one person from each of the other properties involved in the exchange, even if they're outside of Brighton & Hove
- each person over 18 years old who is moving with you to your new address
We'll send each of them an email showing what to do next, and a link to their part of the application.
Proof of identity and address
You'll need to upload one proof of identity and one proof of address.
For proof of identity this can be a copy of your:
- driving licence
- birth certificate
- marriage or civil partnership certificate
For proof of address this can be a copy of your:
- utility bill
- tax credits
- benefit award letter from the DWP
- payslips from the last 3 months
- bank statements from the last 3 months
- council tax bill from the last 3 months
- post office book from the last 3 months
We may contact you for additional documents after we've received your application.