Right to Buy
The Right to Buy scheme allows most council tenants to apply to buy their council home at a discount.
They can help you by:
- telling you if you can apply
- working out your discount
- completing your application
You can find more information in our Right to Buy guide (PDF 63KB).
Who can apply
You can apply to buy your home if:
- you've been a council or housing association tenant for at least 3 years
- you're the secure tenant of your home
You can't apply if:
- you're bankrupt
- you have a possession order
- you live in seniors housing
Certain family members who live with you may be able to share your Right to Buy. Contact us for more details by:
How to apply
To apply you need to download and fill in the following forms:
You can then post them to Brighton & Hove City Council, Leasehold team, Housing Centre, Unit 1 Fairway Trading Estate, Eastergate Road, BN2 4QE.
We can also send you all of the forms by post. You can ask us to do this by:
You'll also need to show us documents to prove your identity and current address.
You can view our Right to Buy document guide (PDF 57KB) to check what you need to bring into one of our housing offices at:
- Lavender Street, Kemp Town, BN2 1JU
- Victoria Road, Portslade Town Hall, BN41 1YF
- Whitehawk Community Hub, 179a Whitehawk Road, BN2 5FL
- The Housing Centre, Eastergate Road, Brighton, BN2 4QL
Our offices are open:
- 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm on Monday to Thursday
- 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 4.30pm on Friday