The Department for Education funds the Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme. It has been delivered in Brighton & Hove since 2021.
During the school Easter, summer, and Christmas holidays, HAF provides free enriching activities and a meal. HAF is for school-aged children and young people in Reception to Year 11, who receive benefits-related free school meals.
Watch our film from a Brighton Table Tennis Club HAF holiday camp to get an idea of what HAF has to offer.
Aims of the programme
There are many benefits for children who attend the HAF programme including:
- receiving healthy and nutritious meals
- maintaining a healthy level of physical activity
- being happy, having fun and meeting new friends
- developing a greater understanding of food, nutrition, and other health-related issues
- taking part in fun and engaging activities that support their development
- feeling safe and secure
- getting access to the right support services
- returning to school feeling engaged and ready to learn
Families also benefit when HAF providers include their needs. They do this when they plan and deliver their programme through:
- providing opportunities to get involved in cookery classes
- signposting them to other sources of information and support, like health services or employment and education opportunities