Apply for a handy person grant

If you are aged 65 or over or disabled and you need help with getting a small building repair or home safety check done, the Handy Person Grant may be able to help.

If you have had a recent hospital admission you may be able to access fast track support through Possability People’s Hospital Discharge Support team.

This grant is available from Brighton & Hove City Council to help toward the cost of getting small repairs
done. It’s about making sure you feel safe and well at home.

Who can get this extra help?

To get this extra help you must be:

  • an owner-occupier or private tenant
  • aged 65 or over and /or a disabled person
  • resident in Brighton & Hove
  • the law says you have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ effect on you being able to do normal daily activities

This extra help is funded by Disabled Facilities Grant. This won’t affect any benefits you get.

What type of work does the Handy Person Grant help with?

This grant can help toward the cost of small building repairs, minor adaptations, general home safety checks and remedial work, falls and accident prevention checks.

It includes work such as repairing floor coverings, installing locks, chains and spyholes, clutter clearance and deep cleaning.

What is the maximum amount you can get?

The maximum amount you can get is £2,500. The actual amount will depend on the cost of the work you need.

If the cost of work is less than £1,000, you won’t need to make a formal application for grant assistance. If the cost of the work is £1,000 or more, you will need to apply and get your application
approved before the work starts.

Just so you know, you might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

Who can help?

If you have just returned home from hospital or intermediate care and are eligible for support - contact Possability People’s Hospital Discharge Support team for help with getting the grant, and the practical support to find a reputable provider to get the work done.

They can also provide support and advice about other services that can help and support your independence, health, and wellbeing at home:

If this doesn’t apply to you but you think you might be eligible and need help – please contact the council’s Disabled Facilities Grant team:

Was this helpful?

If you are unhappy with any of the advice we’ve provided please contact us by:

If you remain unhappy with the service you can contact the council’s customer feedback team at