Walk, think and chat
Where better for children to learn about their feelings and emotions as they relate to the world, than outdoors?
Take a wander through a greenspace or natural area and breathe in the smells, the sounds and the atmosphere. Try not to talk for a bit and listen to how the sounds might change or grow around you.
Pause at places to take a closer look at the floor, a tree trunk, a flower or leaf.
Take your shoes off to feel the ground underneath you. Think about how it feels.
Find a quiet place to sit and spend a few minutes listening and looking.
Then think or chat about:
- what you love about being outdoors
- what the first 5 words are that come into your mind
- describing a colour you love to see outside
- describing what the outdoors sounds like
- describing what the outdoors smells like
- how being outside makes you feel
- describing a favourite memory of being outside