Safeguarding - Early Years

Information for people working in childcare about who to contact if you're concerned about a child.

If you're concerned about a child or young person, you need to report it.

Worried about a child?

If you're worried about a child, contact the Front Door for Families:

​​You can also complete the Front Door for Families online referral form.

Front Door for Families is available 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Out-of-hours emergency

To contact Children’s Services outside normal working hours, phone 01273 335 905.

If a child is in immediate danger

If a child is in immediate danger or left alone, you should contact the police or ambulance service by phoning 999.

The police operator will need to take your name, address and details of what has happened. This will take time, but it's essential to get all of the information from you so we can send you the appropriate resources if necessary.

Contact designated professionals for Brighton & Hove

To contact the Designated Doctor (Safeguarding Children) phone 01273 238 703.
To contact the Designated Nurse (Safeguarding Children) phone 01273 238 703 or 07770 381 421.
To contact the Brighton & Hove Police Child Protection Team phone 101 and ask for Brighton SIU.

Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)

If you receive an allegation or have a concern regarding a member of staff working or volunteering with children, send an email to

Concerns may include a member of staff or volunteer who has:

  • behaved in a way that has harmed or may have harmed a child
  • possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child
  • behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates they may pose a risk of harm to children
  • behaved or may have behaved in a way that indicates they may not be suitable to work with children

Allegations about a colleague/professional

If you have concerns or suspicions about a colleague or professional or carer (including volunteers), you must report them.

Talk to a manager or designated professional if they aren’t implicated. If they are, talk to the Front Door for Families. Contact details for Front Door Families can be found above.

Further advice and support