Apply to keep a dangerous wild animal

You need a licence to keep any animal listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

Who needs a dangerous wild animal licence

If you keep any dangerous wild animals you need a licence. Find out if the animal you plan to keep is on the list of dangerous wild animals in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. 

The act does not apply to zoos, circuses, pet shops or establishments that are registered to do animal experiments. You must have the licence and the premises approved before you get the animal.

Before the council issues a license, a veterinarian will inspect the accommodation. The applicant will be responsible for paying the veterinary inspection fees.

How to apply

Find out how much your animal business licence will cost.

Download the application form and send it to:

Animal Wardens
Brighton & Hove City Council
2nd Floor Bartholomew House
Bartholomew Square

You also need to download the complete the animal activity licensing privacy notice, and send it to us with your application form.

Licence application forms and guidance notes

Why we inspect your premises

We can enter and inspect your premises. We may take a licensed animal away if you're not meeting the conditions of your licence. We can also take unlicensed animals away.

During inspections, Animal Wardens will have a vet with them who has knowledge of the species. We'll charge you for the cost of the vet.