Who needs an animal day care licence

You need a licence if you run a business that houses other people's cats or dogs. This includes businesses run from a private home.

You also need a licence if you run a business that provides accommodation for other people's cats and dogs.

For example, if you connect pet owners with people willing to look after their animals for free.

You don't need a licence if you:

  • run a business that looks after a cat or dog where it normally lives, like dog walkers, or pet sitters
  • are someone who looks after specific dogs or cats, like a friend or relative’s pets

How to apply

Find out how much your animal business licence will cost.

Download the application form and send it to:

Animal Wardens
Brighton & Hove City Council
2nd Floor Bartholomew House
Bartholomew Square

You also need to download and complete the animal activity licensing privacy notice, and send it to us with your application form.

Find the licence conditions and legislation from DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

For more information send an email to animalwardens@brighton-hove.gov.uk or phone 01273 292 170.