What you can do about noise and nuisance
Find letter templates to help you resolve noise or nuisance complaints informally, contact details for mediation services and information on people feeding birds.
Resolve the problem informally
Before contacting our team, you may want to use some of the letter templates below.
It could help open up a conversation with your neighbour and see if you can resolve the issue without legal action.
If this doesn't work, you can take your own legal action. Find guidance on how to take your own legal action against a nuisance.
Domestic noise letter templates
You can adapt these letters to cover a range of noise complaints. This could include loud music or alarms, to noise from washing machines.
Find domestic noise letter templates which cover:
- initial letter to a noisy neighbour
- follow up letter to a noisy neighbour
- notification letter to let a noisy neighbour know you plan to take your own legal action
- initial letter to a nuisance neighbour
Commercial noise letter templates
Find commercial noise letter templates which cover:
- letter to a local business about noise
- letter to a site manager about noise from construction
- letter to a licensed premises, like a restaurant, pub or club
- notification letter to let a business know you plan to take your own legal action
If you don't know it, you can find the registered address of a company on GOV.UK.
Use mediation services
Mediation between you and your neighbour could help ease the situation. Especially if there isn’t a simple legal solution.
Brighton & Hove Independent Mediation Service offers a free and confidential helpline on 01273 700 812. Or you can send an email to email@example.com.
What to do if someone is feeding wild birds
We receive many complaints about people feeding birds, but there’s no law against it. This means we cannot help with this type of complaint.
You may want to speak to your neighbour about the issues you are experiencing. You can use this bird feeding template letter.
If there’s a build up of bird droppings, we may be able to help. Find out more about rubbish and drainage issues on private land.