Find advice on construction times

Find out when construction work can take place and how to apply for prior consent for works.

On 10 December 2021 a written ministerial statement was published setting out new guidance on the enforcement of construction hours. This will remain in force until 30 September 2022.

This statement expects local planning authorities to respond positively to requests for flexibility in the operation of construction sites. This will support the sector’s recovery to pre-February 2020 levels. 

It may be necessary to take action where there's sustained disturbance outside of the hours contained within a planning consent, particularly where this affects sleep. We'll also consider the impact, how long it lasts, and any effort made to manage or mitigate the disturbance. 

Permitted working hours

We may approve requests to temporarily extend construction working hours. Permitted working hours can be increased until 9pm, Monday to Saturday, unless there are very reasons against this.  

Sundays and Bank Holidays remain as non-working days.  

Sometimes work has to happen outside these hours. This would normally only be emergency work to restore services, or where there are safety concerns about working during the day, like on train tracks.

Where possible, the person responsible should contact the noise team to let them know as far in advance as possible. You should also notify surrounding residents and businesses.

These times do not apply to DIY, but we can still investigate noise from DIY and would ask you to think about your neighbours. 

Apply for prior consent for construction work

Contractors can apply for prior consent for their works. This allows us to agree times and methods of work with the contractor.

If the contractor follows the agreement, it usually prevents any legal action about noise from work.

To apply for prior consent for construction work, please fill in an application form and send it in an email to Or you can phone 01273 294 266 for more information.

Reduce the risk of complaints

Contractors should inform and consult local residents about work. They should also give the name of a person on site who will be able to deal with any questions.