Please do not contact us about your £150 energy payment. We’ve now started making payments directly into bank accounts. If you pay Council Tax by direct debit, we're aiming to put your payment directly into your bank account by the end of May. If you do not pay by direct debit, we will contact you shortly as to how to apply for a payment. We're aiming for all payments to be made by the end of July 2022.
Households in Council Tax bands A to D will receive a one-off £150 payment towards increased fuel costs.
You can receive this payment regardless of whether you are receiving benefits or not.
The payment is separate from your Council Tax and it will not need to be repaid. It is yours to keep.
How to qualify for a payment
The payment is a one-off, based on where you were living on 1 April 2022.
To qualify for a payment:
- The property must be your main residence
- The property must be in Council Tax bands A, B, C, D, (or in Band E with a disabled band reduction, meaning that Band D is payable).
Discounts and exemptions
If you receive the following discounts or exemptions you will still receive the £150 payment:
- Council Tax Reduction
- a student exemption (except for those in Halls of Residence, who are not entitled)
- an exemption because everyone living at your property is under 18
- a severe mental impairment exemption
- an annex that’s occupied by
- a dependant relative aged 65 or over, or
- someone with a severe mental impairment, or
- someone who is substantially or permanently disabled
Properties that do not qualify for a payment
Your property does not qualify for the payment if it is:
- an unoccupied property such as:
- empty properties
- second homes
- holiday lets
- a property where one of the following has to pay Council Tax:
- a housing association
- non-resident landlord
- local authority
- corporate body or a government body
You can check your Council Tax Band on GOV.UK.
Payment for people who pay council tax by direct debit
If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit, we will pay the £150 directly into your bank account by the end of May. If you don’t already pay by direct debit, you can still sign up to pay your Council Tax by direct debit.
Payment for people who do not pay council tax by direct debit
We’ve been testing the online form provided by our software company for residents who do not pay Council Tax by direct debit. We’ve had some technical issues that we’re working to resolve.
We hope to have the online form live by 23 May.
Once the form is live, we will email or write to all eligible non-direct debit households with instructions about applying for a payment securely. We'll send you a code and you'll need this to apply.
There will be 2 main options for receiving the payment:
- Payment to your bank account (this will not show on your Council Tax bill)
- A credit to your Council Tax account, which will be made in July (this will show on your Council Tax bill)
We are considering additional options for making the payment and will update this page with more details soon.
Please do not contact us about your £150 energy payment. If you pay Council Tax by direct debit, we will be putting your payment directly into your bank account by the end of May 2022. If you do not pay by direct debit, you can still apply for a payment, and we will contact you shortly as to how you can do this. We aim to make all payments by the end of July 2022.
We have been given funding for a Discretionary Scheme to provide support to households and individuals who do not qualify for the main scheme.
This could include certain vulnerable households in Bands E to H. This scheme will have limited funding and we're currently waiting for our software company to finalise the application form process. Please check back here for updates.