Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service (BHISS) Autism support
Our Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service (BHISS) Autism and Language team works with schools and colleges to help them provide Autism, Language and Early Language support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
Autism support team
We support children who are 4 to 16 years old and have been diagnosed with an autism spectrum condition (ASC) or a social communication disorder.
Examples of ASC include autism and Asperger syndrome.
- supports staff in schools with the Assess, Plan, Do, Review process
- gives advice to Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCOs), teachers and teaching assistants about general support strategies for children who have ASC or a social communication disorder
- can observe children so that they can identify strategies and give personalised advice to school staff about how to best support that child
- supports parents and carers with monthly ASC parent support coffee mornings and workshops
- provides training programmes for parents and carers, such as Time out for ASC, Exploring ASC and Just Right
- provides training programmes for schools, such as the Autism Aware Award (AAA)
- works closely with other teams in BHISS
How to get support from us
Your child's school will contact us if they need support from us.
Talk to your child's teacher or the school's SENCO if you think your child needs support from us.
- Brighton & Hove Music & Arts Building, County Oak Avenue, Brighton, BN1 8DJ
- 01273 293 481
Phone lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4:30pm on Fridays.
All of the factual data in our directory is provided by internal services and external organisations that we work with. We cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any false claims, errors or out of date information.