Our team works with pre-schools and nurseries to help them provide support for children and young people 0 to 25 years old who have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
Examples of educational, social, emotional and mental health needs include severe difficulties in managing emotions and behaviour, inappropriate responses and feelings to situations.
Our team of educational psychologists:
- provides training for schools, parents and other professionals on approaches to support children with attachment, autism, separation and loss
- gives advice, guidance and support to school teachers and staff
- supports schools to deal with critical times in a child’s life, such as when someone close to them dies
- assesses children to identify how they learn, think and feel
- shares assessment reports with schools, parents and other professionals
- supports schools with the Assess, Plan, Do, Review process
- provides support with Education, Health and Care (EHC) assessments and plans
- supports children from Brighton & Hove who go to a school outside of the local area, when it’s needed
- works closely with other BHISS teams
How to get support from us
Your child's nursery will contact us if they need support from us.
Talk to your child’s teacher or Special Educational Needs Coordinator at nursery if you think your child needs support from BHISS.