Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service (BHISS) Early Language support
Our team works with nurseries, playgroups and schools to help them provide autism, language and early language support for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
Early Language Support team
We help support children who are in their last year of nursery or pre-school and have been diagnosed with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN).
Examples of SLCN include difficulties with listening, understanding, and/or talking.
- gives advice, support and training to parents and nursery and pre-school staff, including how to make changes in the nursery or home environment to improve communication
- gives advice about visual supports that can be used to improve language
- sets up and supports language groups
- creates individual support plans for each child, which can be carried out by staff at their nursery or pre-school
- see children is seen in their own homes, as well as at nursery or pre-school, so the support plan can include their full range of needs and environments
- provides training and workshops for parents and carers, such as Makaton, which is a language programme that uses signs and symbols to help people communicate
- provides courses in Makaton for childcare providers
- works closely with other BHISS teams
How to get support from us
Your child's childcare provider will contact us if they need support from us.
Talk to your child's Special Educational Needs Coordinator if you think your child needs support from BHISS.
AddressBrighton & Hove Music & Arts Building, County Oak Avenue, Brighton, BN1 8DJ
- 01273 293 481
Phone lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4:30pm on Fridays.
All of the factual data in our directory is provided by internal services and external organisations that we work with. We cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any false claims, errors or out of date information.