Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service (BHISS) Language support
Our team works with schools and colleges to help them provide autism, language and early language support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
Language Support team
We support children who are 4 to 16 years old and have been diagnosed with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN). We also support children with developmental language disorders.
Examples include difficulties with listening, understanding and/or talking.
- provides advice and training to school staff so that they can support children with speech, language and communication needs, including strategies to help staff make sure all children can understand the language used in the school curriculum
- provides advice, training and support for the SEN specialist teacher for language who works with schools so that they can identify children and young people with SLCN as early as possible, assess their needs and suggest ways to support them
- supports schools with Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans and preparation for the annual EHC plan review
- supports parents and carers with on-to-one advice
- provides training and workshops for parents and carers, such as courses in Makaton, which is a language programme that uses signs and symbols to help people communicate
- works closely with other BHISS teams
How to get support from us
Your child's school will contact us if they need support from us. Colleges can buy support from us for young people who are 16 to 19 years old.
Talk to your child's teacher or the school's Special Educational Needs Coordinator if you think your child needs support from us.
AddressBrighton & Hove Music & Arts Building, County Oak Avenue, Brighton, BN1 8DJ
- 01273 293 481
Phone lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4:30pm on Fridays.
All of the factual data in our directory is provided by internal services and external organisations that we work with. We cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any false claims, errors or out of date information.