Energy Boost £150 payments update

Find out whether you will get the £150 Energy Boost payment, how you will receive it, and what you can do to make sure you get it.

People who live in properties in Council Tax Bands A to D as of 1 April 2022 will receive a single payment of £150 from the government to help with their energy bills.

You do not need to repay this money.

This payment is not related to the further support for households announced by the chancellor on 26 May 2022.

How you will be paid

If you pay council tax by Direct Debit, we will pay the £150 directly into the bank account you pay council tax from.

If you do not pay your council tax by Direct Debit, you will be invited to fill in a new form. To complete this form you will need the following information:  

  • Your council tax Account number
  • A unique access code

We will send you this information either by email or letter (if we don’t have your email address). If you can’t find your access code you can send an email to to ask for a new one. We have not started to send codes yet, you won't get a code before 8 June at the earliest.

If you have an exemption on your council tax bill or are on benefits you will also have to fill in this form to receive your £150.

About the payment

There is only one payment available per household, it will go into the account that pays council tax for your household. If you live with other people, you should talk about how you will divide this payment between you.

If you want us to pay this money into a different account you can send an email to We will ask you to give a reason why you do not want the money going into the normal account.

If you don't want to receive this money directly to your bank account, or you can't have the money sent to your bank account, then we will make a rebate payment of £150 to your council tax account by the end of July 2022. If you do not have a council tax account, we are working on an alternative way for you to receive this payment. 

Accounts with an overdraft

If your account is overdrawn and you don’t want this money to reduce your overdraft. You can ask for a ‘First Right of Appropriation’  on the £150 payment.  

People in council tax bands E to H.

We will announce our Discretionary scheme soon to help people outside bands A to D. This is a limited amount of funding and we will not be able to pay everyone in properties E to H. We will identify those who require additional help with their fuel costs and invite them to make an application to our discretionary fund. This will be a separate form.