Tell us if someone has died

Let us know if someone who was living in a property has died, and how this affects Council Tax.

About this form

Use this form to tell us if someone who was living in a property has died.

You'll need:

  • the full name of the person who has died
  • the address of the property they were living in
  • details of any adults who still live in the property

If you'd prefer to speak to someone in person, you can call us on 01273 291 291.

How Council Tax is affected

If there are still people living in the property or if someone has a legal interest in the property, they'll become responsible for the Council Tax.

If there's only one person left in the property, they can apply for a single person discount.

If the property is now empty and stays empty, there'll normally be no Council Tax to pay:

  • until 6 months after the date probate is granted, after which the estate becomes responsible for the Council Tax
  • until the tenancy ends, if the person who died was a tenant

Other changes you need to tell us about

You should:

You can use our contact Council Tax for help with your bill form to submit information if:

  • legal ownership of the property changes
  • probate or letters of administration are granted