Registering to vote as a student away from home

How to register to vote if you are a student living away from home.

If you're a student living away from home, you can be registered to vote at your university term time address and at your home address if they're in different electoral areas.

This means that you can vote wherever you are at the time of the election. 

Registering to vote

The quickest and easiest way to register to vote on GOV.UK.

If you're going to be away on the date of the election you can request a postal or proxy vote.

Who can vote

Local elections

To vote in the council and parish elections, you must be 18 or over and a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen living in the UK.

You may vote in local elections from both addresses if they are for different local councils, as they would be classed as two separate elections.

General election

To vote in the UK parliamentary election you must be 18 or over and a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen.

You may only vote from one address for national elections, such as a general election. Please note that it is an offence to vote more than once in the same election.

Check the list of eligible countries (PDF 89KB) to see if you are able to vote.