Homophobic, biphobic or transphobic motivated hate incidents

What a homophobic, biphobic or transphobic motivated incident is, how to report it and what to do if you need support.

A homophobic, biphobic or transphobic hate incident is defined as:

"Any incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice based on a person's sexual orientation or gender identity."

This means that a hate incident is when anyone feels they have been picked on or targeted because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). This can also be called homophobia, biphobia or transphobia.

Who you can report an LGBT hate incident to

We take hate incidents seriously and have a number of options to make it easier for you to report.

If you've experienced or witnessed a homophobic, biphobic or transphobic hate incident, you can report it to Brighton and Hove City Council, Sussex Police or to our community led third-party reporting centre. 

Report to Sussex Police  

In an emergency phone 999 and ask for the police. 

If it is not an emergency you can contact the police by phoning 101.   

You can also report online at www.sussex.police.uk.

Report to Brighton and Hove City Council  

Council tenants, Council leaseholders and tenants of leaseholders should report Hate Incidents to Housing Customer Services by: 

You can also report Hate Incidents online.  

Housing Association tenants should report Hate Incidents to their housing provider. Brighton & Hove City Council cannot intervene in Housing Association cases.  

The Community Safety Team  

Private rented sector tenants and owner occupiers can report Hate Incidents to the Community Safety Team by: 

You can also report Hate Incidents online.  

Third Party Reporting Centre - The Rainbow Hub

The Rainbow Hub acts as a centre for people who have experienced or been affected by a hate-related incident. Here, you can report it in an environment where you'll be safe and respected.

The Hub can then support you in pursuing action with statutory authorities or the police if that is what you wish to do. You can also be directed to further specialised support services.

The Hub is open from 11am to 4pm, Friday to Sunday.

You can speak to someone in person during these opening hours at The Rainbow Hub, Ledward Centre, Jubilee Street, Brighton, BN1 1UU.

You can also phone on 07714 782 585, or send an email to Report@therainbowhubbrighton.com. The Hub aims to respond to all emails within 48 hours.

True-Vision online reporting to the local police 

Incidents that are motivated by the prejudice, also known as hate incidents or crimes include:

  • racist
  • religiously motivated
  • homophobic
  • biphobic
  • transphobic
  • disability hate incidents

You can report all hate incidents or crimes that you may have been the victim of, witnessed, or are reporting on behalf of someone else through the True-Vision website. You can give as much or as little personal details as you choose, and you can report anonymously, if you wish. 

If you're reporting a crime, the police will create a crime report and investigate. If you've given your contact details, the police will contact you according to your consent. 

If you do not provide personal details, the self-reporting forms will be used to monitor the incidents. 

Find out more about reporting hate incidents through True-Vision. 

True-Vision easy-read self-reporting forms 

If you have a learning disability or care for someone that does, you can download easy read forms to report hate incidents. 

 You can also ask for these forms by sending an email to communitysafety.casework@brighton-hove.gov.uk.

Learn more about other support that's available on the Victim Support website

If you have to go to court as a victim or a witness, you can get support from Victim Support. They may arrange for you to visit the court before the trial so you are more familiar with the court. They can also help you in the court proceedings and arrange for any special measures you need.

Code of Practice

Find out more about your rights as a victim reporting a crime. The victims' code tells you what you can expect from each criminal justice agency. This includes the police, the Crown Prosecution Service and the courts.

You can also download the full Code of Practice for Victims of Crime from the GOV.UK website.