What we can help with
The highways emergency phone number is for highways emergencies only.
A highways emergency is where help is needed to keep the public safe on the carriageway (roads) or the footway (pedestrian paths).
We cannot help with any other type of emergency.
Emergencies you can report
Emergencies you can report using the highways emergency phone number include:
- road traffic incidents where a safety barrier, traffic signal, light or street furniture has been hit – including if there are spills of oil, petrol or glass
- burnt out vehicles
- dangerous buildings and structures
- large debris (waste) that obstructs the highway and is likely to cause severe injuries if left
- dangerous or incomplete traffic management for roadworks
- flooded roads, ice and snow
- road or footway collapse – including dangerous sinkholes, potholes, slabs or missing ironwork
We may also be able to help with:
- malfunctioning traffic signals
- fly-tipping that is causing an obstruction on the public highway
- fallen trees that are causing an obstruction on the public highway
If you need to contact us about one of these emergencies in Brighton & Hove, phone 01273 292 229.
Only use this phone number in an emergency and do not use it for non-emergency enquiries.
Find help for other issues
Noise complaints, including burglar or fire alarms
You can report a noise problem online.
From 5pm on Fridays to 9am on Mondays, you can phone 01273 293 541 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want a response the next day please include an email address when you leave an answerphone message.
Rubbish collection day changes
Find more information about your bin and box collection days.
Household waste, like a broken TV
The Highways team will only get involved out of hours to make an area safe using barriers, if the waste is in the road.
If the items are not blocking the highway, you can report a problem and request a clean up.
If you have an emergency with your council home, you can ask for a repair to your council home or phone 01273 294 400 for help.
Household pipe burst
If a pipe has burst in your council home, phone the housing maintenance number on your tenancy agreement. If it's becoming a structural problem, you can phone 07795 336370 for out of hours emergencies.
If you own or privately rent your home, you'll need to contact a local plumber for help.
For stray dogs and cats, phone 01273 292 170 or 07827 967088.
Locked out of your home
If you're locked out of your council home, you can ask for a repair to your council home online. Or you can phone 01273 294 400 and select option 1, then option 1 again and the Housing Team may be able to help with upfront costs.
If you own or privately rent your home, you'll need to contact a local locksmith for help.
We cannot help with domestic disturbances, you need to phone the police for help.
If you need emergency accommodation, phone 01273 294 400.
Find more information about help with domestic abuse.
BTN bike share issues
Find out more about BTN BikeShare and what to do if you're having problems with the bikes.