Customer service update
Council services have been operating throughout the pandemic, but some have been limited in what they can do.
Now that national restrictions have been lifted, we're working towards providing more accessible services from September.
But, rates of infection are very high in the city so the health and safety of our customers and staff is still a priority.
In line with safely increasing office capacity, we'll put in place more consistent opening times for telephone lines and self-help facilities for people using council services.
Customer service centres and civic receptions
- Brighton & Hove customer service centres will stay closed, except for pre-arranged appointments at Brighton Customer Service Centre
- Hove Town Hall civic reception is closed
- Hove Customer Service parking information centre is still closed, but you can apply for permits and find information about other parking services
- Brighton Town Hall civic reception is only open for registration appointments for births, deaths and marriages
- Lavender St reception is not open for Housing enquiries
- Portslade Town Hall is not open for Housing enquiries
Specific service information
Library opening hours were increased on 21 June. There's been no change since then.
The current capacities for marriage and civil partnership ceremonies at Brighton Town Hall will remain in place:
- couple plus 20 guests in the Regency Room
- couple plus 40 guests in the Council Chamber
These numbers include all attendees, including children under 5 years old.
Everyone attending ceremonies, except for the couple and the registrars, should continue to wear a face-covering, unless exempt, and sanitise their hands when entering the building.
Birth, death or notice appointments
Everyone attending a birth, death or notice appointment at the Register Office will be expected to wear a mask unless exempt.
They will be asked to sanitise their hands on entry to the Town Hall.
Only those people necessary for the appointment will be admitted to the building.
Woodvale Crematorium is working towards extending the numbers for cremations in its North and South chapel in the very near future, but there will be no immediate changes to current arrangements on Monday 19 July.
The current capacities for Woodvale North and South Chapel will remain in place:
- 50 mourners in each Chapel
If you are attending a service at Woodvale you should continue to wear a face-covering, unless exempt.
Information on other council services
Some of our services are still be operating in different ways, or with different opening hours, to those provided before March 2020, due to the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
You can find information on how best to contact them and opening hours on their webpages.
- Access Point
- Blue Badges
- Children's Centres
- Concessionary Travel (bus passes)
- Council Tax
- Customer Feedback
- Electoral Services
- Family Information Service
- Front Door for Families
- Housing Needs: Housing Advice
- Housing Needs: Homemove
- Housing Repairs
- Planning services
- Private Sector Housing
- Regulatory Services
- NNDR (Business Rates) – including information about grants and other support for businesses