Independent financial advice

When you're thinking about your care and support needs for the future, it may help to speak to a qualified independent financial adviser.

An independent financial advisor can help you to understand the plans you need to make when looking at funding future care services.

Independent financial advisors may charge for their time and advice, however some may offer a free one-hour initial consultation.

When choosing an independent financial advisor, check:

  • that they have experience of providing advice on long-term care funding
  • that they hold the specialist CF8 qualification - this is required by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for any financial adviser giving financial advice about long-term care
  • how independent their advice is. You need the adviser to act in your best interests, not in the interests of people who want to sell you their products.

Find an independent financial advisor in Brighton & Hove

The council has not vetted any independent financial advisor and is not responsible or liable for them or any advice or services they provide.

Find an independent advisor in your area by contacting the following organisations:

The Society Of Later Life Advisors (SOLLA)
A not-for-profit organisation that helps people find independent financial advisors who specialise in the financial needs of older people. Members have taken steps to become independently accredited. This means they can offer the added reassurance that as well as holding professional qualifications, they can offer the practical guidance needed to make the right decisions at the right time.
Call: 0845 303 2909.

Age UK
National charity working to improve later life for everyone by providing services and support. Their website has lots of information about choosing and paying for your own residential and/or nursing care.
Tel: 0800 169 6565

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
Produces information about funding long-term care and holds a register of qualified financial advisers.
Tel: 0300 500 5000

Led by the Elderly Accommodation Council and funded by government, charities and commercial organisations. It is an independent, free service offering information and advice on housing, and care options including funding advice.
Tel: 0800 377 7070

The Law Society
Can provide details of specialist legal advisers in Brighton & Hove.
Tel: 020 7242 1222

The Money Advice Service
Offers free, unbiased money advice and information to help you make the most of your money, whatever your circumstances. It was set up by government.
Tel: 0300 500 5000

Paying for care 
Advice website designed to help individuals make more informed decisions about the arrangements and funding for their long-term care. The site is also useful for people who have powers of attorney and family members and friends.

You might also be interested in...