Support for people with hearing loss

If you have hearing loss and you're having difficulties with communication or carrying out activities of daily living, we may be able to help. 

We can give you specialist information, support, advice, equipment and adaptations if you're eligible. To find out if you are eligible you will first need an assessment.

It is helpful have a hearing test or to have your hearing aids checked before your assessment.

How it works

We will arrange for you to have an assessment of your needs. This is the first step to understanding what help and support you need so that you can live safely and independently in your own home.

We can then advise you on any equipment and adaptations that would significantly improve your wellbeing, communication or ability to carry out daily living activities.

Following an assessment, we can help you to instal equipment that has been specially designed for partially or completely deaf people, for example:

  •  flashing doorbells
  •  headphones to hear the television
  •  vibrating smoke alerts
  •  telephone adaptations.

We can also discuss how you can use direct payments so you can choose how best to meet your eligible needs.

Sight and hearing loss

An impairment in both your sight and hearing may mean you have additional problems with communication, mobility and access to information. Where required we will ensure that a worker with specialist knowledge is involved in your assessment to help asses the effect of visual and hearing loss on your life and independence. 

Our eligibility criteria

We'll provide equipment and adaptations where they increase safety and help retain or regain significant skills that avoid or delay the need for care. First we will need to check if you're eligible to receive these services.

Contact us

Please contact Access Point, the contact centre for Adult Social Care.

Access Point will take details of the difficulties you're experiencing and direct you to the most appropriate service.

Local support groups

For information about local support, contact the Sussex Association for the Deaf.

Call: 01273 671899

Fax: 01273 625283

For general information, contact Action on Hearing Loss.

Call: 0808 808 0123 (free to call)

Textphone: 0808 808 9000 (free to call)

Useful websites

Dual sensory loss: Deafblind UK

Information on on work, carers, benefits and rights if you have a hearing impairment or you're deaf

Action on Hearing Loss

Sussex Association for the Deaf