Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is specialist housing designed for older people with some support needs. It is sometimes called retirement housing or warden-assisted housing.

Brighton & Hove City Council's sheltered housing service is called Seniors Housing – Independent and Community Living.

Support from scheme managers

Most schemes have an on-site scheme manager (sometimes called a warden). They provide low-level housing support to residents, such as a daily well-being call service or advice. Scheme managers are also responsible for the maintenance of the building.

Scheme managers usually work week days although a limited call service is available at the weekends for the most vulnerable who don't have other weekend support.

All housing schemes have a 24-hour emergency alarm system that allows residents to contact an on-site scheme manager or to an alarm control centre when the scheme manager is off duty.

All council sheltered housing schemes are rented.

The benefits

Sheltered housing is ideal for people who want to live independently and be part of an active and friendly community, knowing that there is help on hand if they need it.

All homes are connected to an alarm that can be activated by residents in an emergency, such as a fall. This alerts the scheme manager or our CareLink Plus alarm service when they're off duty.

Sheltered housing offers a friendly, welcoming and often, a programme of social activities, sometimes run by residents themselves. Often they have communal areas such as lounges, gardens or patios for residents and their guests to enjoy. Many schemes have guest rooms where family and friends can stay while visiting.

Residents have their own home, their own front door and their own long term tenancy. All homes are let unfurnished, although a cooker and fridge can be provided.

Apply for Brighton & Hove City Council sheltered housing (rented)

Step 1:

To apply for sheltered housing in Brighton & Hove to rent, whether you're applying for the first time or you're applying for a transfer, you need to fill in an application form.

You will need your National Insurance number to hand.

Return this form to us by post, to:

Homemove Team
4th Floor
Bartholomew House
Bartholomew Square

Step 2:

If we approve your application, you will need to register on a website called Homemove.

The Homemove website allows you to bid on the home that you want. You can bid on the home you want every two weeks online, or via text message, by phone or with a postal coupon.
Find out more about how Homemove works. 

When your council or housing association has accepted you onto their register, Homemove will email you to give you your Homemove number. You'll need to use the number each time you log in to make a bid on the Homemove website.

Find details of sheltered housing schemes

Search online to find out more about the council’s seniors housing schemes in Brighton & Hove including location and facilities.


​Paying for sheltered housing

Residents are responsible for paying their rent and all normal household bills.

In addition, there is the support charge, which is the cost of the scheme manager and emergency alarm service. If you receive Housing Benefit however, you'll normally get this charge paid in full.

Housing Benefit helps you to pay your rent, other charges and grounds maintenance but it does not cover heating charges or water rates.

Paying rent and support charges is an arrangement between the sheltered housing scheme and the resident.

Additional information

For further information and advice on housing for older people including how to buy a home within a sheltered housing scheme, visit the Elderly Accommodation Counsel website.

See our sheltered housing frequently asked questions page for further general information.

Contact us

If you need further information or advice about sheltered housing contact the Homemove Team.
Call: 01273 294400

You can also drop in to one of our housing offices in person.

Already live in sheltered housing? Tell us what you think

If you already live in a sheltered housing scheme we'd love to know what you think so that we can improve our services. Fill in and return our customer comment form online.