Care homes and care homes with nursing

There are two main types of care home. These are care homes and care homes with nursing.

  • care homes: sometimes known as residential care homes or rest homes, provide short or long-term care, accommodation, meals and personal care, such as support with washing and eating
  • care homes with nursing: provide the above but also have registered nurses on site providing care for people with complex health needs.

​​Do I really need a care home or care home with nursing?

It may have been suggested that you need a care home or care home with nursing, because of an accident or another event, but it’s not always the right decision. There are other options available. Make sure you look into all the options, seek advice, and make the right decision for you.

Some of the other options may be:

​​It’s a good idea to explore all options open to you before considering a care home or care home with nursing.


If you, or your family, friends or carers think that a care home or care home with nursing might best meet your needs, the Council can arrange an assessment to see if you’re eligible for help. We’ll carry out a needs assessment for people who appear to be in need of care and support, regardless of their financial status or whether we think that their needs will be eligible.

Find a care home or care home with nursing to suit you

  • the Care Choices website has an A-Z list of services offered by both East Sussex County Council and Brighton & Hove City Council. For a paper copy of the directory contact the Access Point on 01273 295555
  • the local Age UK Information & Advice service offer general information and advice on care home issues and many other areas. You can speak to an advisor Mon – Fri, 10am - 4pm, on Tel: 01273 720603
  • Age UK also provide a leaflet home care checklist to help you choose the right home
  • the council can give you details of care homes or care homes with nursing, this includes information on quality, vacancies and care matching. This is available from the Access Point.


We recommend that you, your friends or family visit any home you’re considering moving to, or if you’re unable to visit, ask for a meeting with the care home manager.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates care services including care homes and care homes with nursing. They provide free, independent reports on the quality of local services to help you make an informed choice. You can either search for a specific provider or find advice on how to access good quality care.

Quality Monitoring Team (Council)

The Council’s Quality Monitoring Team supports the quality monitoring of care homes or care homes with nursing. The team’s role is to ensure good quality care is provided in services to keep people safe. They gather a range of feedback e.g. complaints, concerns about a person’s safety and wellbeing and other feedback. Information is received from a variety of people such as members of the public, people who receive care, carers and family of people who receive care and various health professionals such as social workers and community nurses. The team also works closely with other professionals including the local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and the CQC, to share information and build up a picture of ‘services of concern’.

Contact the Quality Monitoring by email: or Tel: 01273 295093.

Any information you share will be passed onto the relevant Commissioning Support Officer in the Quality Monitoring Team.


If you receive a home care service which was arranged in partnership with you or on your behalf by Brighton & Hove City Council, you should expect to receive a review of the service arranged. The initial review will be about four to six weeks after the service started, and then annually. You can see the reviewing your needs page for any questions or queries regarding the reviewing arrangements, or if you wish to discuss what you should expect regarding reviews conducted by Brighton & Hove City Council.

Poor quality care – making a complaint

Most people have a positive experience of care homes and care homes with nursing, but sometimes problems can occur and you may want to make a complaint. You could ask a friend or relative, a voluntary organisation or a charity to help you make your complaint.

Raising a concern can help improve the quality of a service. Many problems can be cleared up by having an informal chat with a member of staff or the manager of the home.

If you're not satisfied that the matter has been cleared up after an informal chat, you may want to make a formal complaint to the care home or care home with nursing manager. All registered care homes and care homes with nursing must have a complaints procedure, which should have been clearly explained when moving in.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman.


You may have concerns regarding the care you receive or the care that someone else is receiving from a care home provider.

A safeguarding concern is about abuse or neglect of someone who is unable to protect themselves. If you’re concerned that abuse or neglect is taking place, please take immediate action by reporting it online or by calling the Access Point.

You can also contact Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 999 or in an emergency call 999.

Palliative and end of life care

Advance care planning

If you have a terminal illness, or are approaching the end of your life, it might be a good idea to make plans for your future care. Planning ahead in this way is sometimes called advance care planning, and involves thinking and talking about your wishes for how you’re cared for in the final months of your life.

Advance care planning is key to improving end of life care, to help living and dying in the place and the manner of your choosing. The main goal in delivering good end of life care is to understand peoples’ wishes, needs and preferences and deliver care to meet these needs.

NHS Choices end of life care guide

The NHS Choices end of life care guide may be useful for people who are caring for someone who is dying, or for people who want to plan in advance for their own end of life care. It explains what you can expect from end of life care, including palliative care to control pain and other symptoms and psychological, social and spiritual support.

The guide also contains information about rights and choices, including refusing treatment, setting down wishes for future treatment and legal rights.

The Palliative Care Partnership

The Palliative Care Partnership is a specialist team of nurses, doctors, occupational therapists and social workers, who aim to promote high quality holistic care for people living with and dying from life limiting illnesses. The service provided includes assessment of physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual needs, as well as pain relief and the management of other symptoms. The team supports relatives and carers and provides expert advice to other health care professionals.

The Palliative Care Partnership also provides a 24/7 telephone line that is staffed by nurses to support patients, health professionals and the general public. They respond to queries and provide support when people are dying in the community.

The Palliative Care Partnership can be contacted on 01273 964164.

The people caring for you at home…their roles explained leaflet (PDF 362KB) gives details of professionals who work with people receiving end of life care in their own homes.

Paying for a care home or care home with nursing

The cost of a care home or care home with nursing varies depending on the facilities it has and the level of care you need. Always ask about costs when you're looking for a care home or care home with nursing.

If you're thinking about moving to a care home or care home with nursing, or someone in your family is helping you with this, you may decide to fund your own cost without contacting the council. If this is the case, it is a good idea to get independent financial advice.

You should also check whether you are entitled to any funding from the NHS. This is called Continuing Health Care. You can find out more about Continuing Heath Care on the NHS Choices website. If you do not need financial assistance, you can choose any care home or care home with nursing home, no matter how much it costs.

Financial assistance

If you need financial assistance to pay for a care home or care home with nursing, the Council will assess your needs and look at your savings, property and income to decide what you may need to pay.