Request a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) authorisation in care home and hospital settings

This page is for people working in care home and hospital settings who need to request a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) authorisation.

If you aren't a social care professional, you may find our mental capacity advice more helpful or check the information on Deprivation of Liberty from the Alzheimer's Society.

If you aren't working for a care home or hospital but need a DoLS authorisation an application to the Court of Protection is required. The Court of Protection can approve DoLS authorisations for people in shared lives, supported living and domestic settings. There is more information on DoLS from courts of protection on GOV.UK.

DoLS authorisation forms

These forms have been developed by the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS) and meet the DoLS regulations. There is guidance for using the DoLS forms (DOCX 239KB) provided by ADASS.

Applying for a new authorisation

This form should be used the first time a client needs a DoLS authorisation.

It is for new applications, urgent authorisations and extensions.

Renewing a current authorisation

This form is for renewals of a standard authorisation. Please send this form to us three weeks before the current authorisation runs out.

Reviewing and ending a current authorisation

This should be used to request a review of the DoLS authorisation if any of the statutory grounds for a review are met.

The statutory grounds for a review are:

  • the person no longer meets the age, no refusals, mental capacity, mental health or best interests requirements
  • the person now objects to receiving mental health treatment in hospital and they meet the criteria for an application for admission under section 2 or section 3 of the Mental Health Act 1983
  • the person’s situation has changed and, because of that change, it is necessary to amend, add or remove the conditions of the original authorisation
  • the reason the person now meets the qualifying requirements are different from the reasons given at the time the standard authorisation was given

Send your forms to us

We deal with DoLS authorisations from care homes and hospitals for people resident in Brighton & Hove. Requests for authorisation and enquiries should be made to the DoLS Administrator by: