Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD)
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) are intended to provide detailed guidance on how planning policy will be implemented.
Updated Design Guide for Extensions and Alterations SPD
The SPD was approved for adoption by members of Tourism Equalities , Communities and Culture Committee on 16 January 2020, subject to some minor amendments and the finalisation of formatting/illustrations.
The amendments have now been made and the SPD will now be used in decision making.
SPDs under preparation
To stay up to date with forthcoming consultations on SPDs, join our mailing list.
Hove Station Area Supplementary Planning Document
The council is preparing a masterplan in the form of a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) to guide future development within and around the Conway Street Industrial Area (near Hove Station) and help better connect neighbourhoods on both sides of the railway.
A draft version of the SPD was approved for public consultation purposes on 19 November 2020 by the council’s Tourism, Equalities, Communities & Culture Committee.
The public consultation runs for 8 weeks between 14 December 2020 and 7 February 2021.
As the first stage, we consulted stakeholders on Masterplan Issues & Options between 25 February and 7 April 2019. The council hopes to adopt the masterplan as a Supplementary Planning Document in early spring 2021.
Find more details about the Hove Station Area SPD.
A Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) screening (PDF 1.1MB) has been carried out. This determined that the SPD is unlikely to have significant adverse environmental effects that have not already been considered during the preparation of City Plan Part 1, and therefore does not require a separate SEA.
The following SPDs have been formally adopted, following public consultation, and are material considerations that can be taken into account when determining a planning application.
- SPD01 - Brighton Centre: Area Planning and Urban Design Framework
- SPD02 - Shop Front Design
- SPD03 - Construction and Demolition Waste
- SPD05 - Circus Street Municipal Market Site
- SPD06 - Trees and Development Sites
- SPD07 - Advertisements
- SPD09 - Architectural Features
- SPD10 - London Road Central Masterplan
- SPD11 - Nature Conservation and Development
- SPD12 - Design Guide for Extensions and Alterations
- SPD13 - Shoreham Harbour Flood Risk Management Guide
- SPD14 - Parking Standards
- SPD15 - Toad's Hole Valley
- SPD16 - Sustainable Drainage
- SPD17 - Urban Design Framework