Emerging Development Plans
For the latest updates on a number of planning policy documents please read the Planning Policy March 2019 Newsletter (PDF, 274KB)
City Plan Part Two
The draft City Plan Part Two (CPP2) was available for a 10 week period of consultation from 5 July to 13 September 2018. More information can be found on the City Plan Part Two webpage.
Adopted Development Plans
City Plan Part One (adopted March 2016)
Annexes to the City Plan Part One
- Annex 1 Implementation and Monitoring Plan (March 2016) (PDF 400kb)
- Annex 2 Infrastructure Delivery Plan (June 2017) (PDF 500kb)
- Annex 3 Housing Implementation Strategy (March 2016) (PDF 200kb)
- Annex 4 Brighton & Hove Local Plan Policies to be replaced by the Brighton & Hove City Plan Part One (March 2016) (PDF 200kb)
Brighton & Hove Local Plan Adopted 2005
Adopted Policies Map (2020)
(Please note some layout and also factual errors relating to Heritage designations present in the Committee Document maps were corrected and agreed on 12 April 2016 under the delegated powers of the Acting Executive Director Environment, Development & Housing)
For ease of use the following is a 1:5,000 scale map of the Brighton central area:
Adopted policies from the East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste & Minerals Local Plan are shown on this map:
South Downs Local Plan (South Downs National Park Authority)
East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste and Minerals Local Plan
The Waste and Minerals Local Plan (WMLP) is the name for the set of planning documents that together form the statutory plans for waste and minerals developments in Brighton & Hove and East Sussex.
- East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste and Minerals Plan (adopted 2013) (PDF 4.8MB)
- East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste and Minerals Sites Plan (adopted 2017) (PDF 10.6MB)
Waste and Minerals Local Plan Review Consultation
East Sussex County Council, the South Downs National Park and Brighton & Hove City Council are undertaking a review of the Waste and Minerals Local Plan. A consultation on the scope of the review and a call for minerals sites ran until 20 November 2017. The Authorities are now analysing the responses received. More information can be found on the consultation portal.
- East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste and Minerals Local Plan (Adopted 2013) (PDF 4.87 MB
Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan
The Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (JAAP) was formally adopted by Brighton & Hove City Council on 24 October 2019. It replaces the Shoreham Harbour Interim Planning Guidance, Western Harbour Arm Development Brief and South Portslade and Aldrington Basin Development Brief. The plan forms part of the development plan for Brighton & Hove alongside the City Plan Part 1 and Waste and Minerals Plans.
- Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (2019) (PDF 17mb)
- Monitoring and Implementation Framework (PDF 911kb)
- Notice of Adoption (PDF 15kb)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Post Adoption Statement (PDF 140kb)
More information is available on the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration page.
Planning applications are considered against the policies set out in The National Planning Policy Framework, policies in the City Plan Part One (adopted in March 2016) and the remaining retained policies in the Brighton & Hove Adopted Local Plan (adopted 2005). Minerals and Waste matters are dealt with jointly by East Sussex County Council, South Downs National Park Authority and Brighton & Hove County Council.
A version of the Brighton and Hove Local Plan (as at March 2016) is available to view which contains those retained policies which were not replaced by policies in the City Plan Part One.
Work is currently underway on The City Plan Part Two. This part of the City Plan will contain the remaining development management policies and site allocations. When adopted this will replace the Brighton & Hove Local Plan in its entirety.
Other useful links
- Brighton & Hove Housing Delivery Action Plan August 2019
- SHLAA / 5 Year Housing Supply
- Neighbourhood Plans
- Supplementary planning documents (SPDs)
- Supplementary guidance notes (SPGs)
- Development Briefs
- Background studies supporting the City Plan Part One
- Background studies supporting the City Plan Part Two
Staying in touch with the Policy, Heritage and Projects Team
If you would like the Policy, Projects and Heritage team at Brighton & Hove City Council to continue to occasionally contact you with news of their documents and consultations then please fill in your details here