Our planning officers may seek contributions from a developer. These are secured through a Section 106 legal agreement or S106 unilateral undertaking.
Usually developer contributions (through S106 agreements) are for:
- Transport improvements and travel initiatives
- Community or recreation facilities
- Affordable housing
The contributions are to reduce the impact of a new development and to make sure it does not place additional pressure on existing infrastructure.
Planning officers negotiate with the developer so the proposed development is acceptable in planning terms. Developers are asked to pay for, or contribute towards, the cost of additional infrastructure needed to service the new development.
The level of contribution will be related to the scale of the new development and its impact on the local environment.
However, S106 contributions cannot compensate for a proposed development that is considered unacceptable.
Download our latest guidance developer contributions technical guidance (PDF 270KB) - last updated March 2017.
Read the committee covering report developer contributions technical guidance covering report 9 March 2017 (PDF 42KB)
Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
The CIL allows local authorities in England and Wales to raise funds from certain types of new development for strategic infrastructure to support growth. We are commencing the implementation of our CIL charge on 5 October 2020. For more details on the CIL examimation and relevant documents please see our CIL Examination page and examination library page.
Timetable for approval of our CIL Charging Schedule
- 16 January 2019: submission of documents and information to the examiner
- 2 April 2019: public hearings at Brighton Town Hall, Bartholomew Rd, Brighton BN1 1JW
- 17 July to 11 September 2019: consultation on proposed main modifications arising from further work requested by the examiner and additional minor modifications.
- February 2020: publication of examiner's report
- 23 July 2020: charging schedule and proposed commencement date approved by council
- 5 October 2020: commence implementation of CIL