All residential planning applications involving new builds and conversions within the city require a completed Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist.
We require a completed sustainability checklist to register your planning application.
The sustainability checklist online tool will create a PDF document for you when you complete the checklist. Attach this document to your planning application when you submit it to the planning portal. If you are submitting a non-electronic application you must include one printed copy of the PDF document of your completed checklist.
In October 2015 further changes were made to the sustainability checklist following changes in national policy
We've withdrawn the previous version of the checklist.
Find out more
- using the Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist (2015)
- delivering good and advanced practice in sustainable development in Brighton & Hove
- facts and misconceptions around sustainable buildings
Using the Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist (2015)
The Brighton & Hove sustainability checklist (2015) is designed to be completed and submitted online. A document can be downloaded to guide you through use of the checklist, called the ‘Step by step guidance’ [PDF, 435kb]
Please note, projects that have been started and saved on the sustainability checklist (2015) can only be accessed via a link sent to the user.
Once you have started to complete a checklist you will be able to save your changes. You can then go back to the checklist and continue to add information or make changes until you are ready to submit.
The checklist provides an overview of issues to consider when delivering sustainable development in Brighton & Hove. The checklist includes links to supporting information that will help you complete it. Some pages link to external websites – please note that the council does not accept liability for errors caused by use of externally hosted software, and it remains the responsibility of the applicant to check that the report produced by any external site is accurate.
We recommend that you start to use the checklist as early as possible in the development process. It will take time to complete the checklist.
Help and support
- You can download our simple 'Step by step guidance' [PDF 435kb] for the Sustainability Checklist
- You will need an email address to use the online checklist. Free computer access and help to use the internet and set up an email account is available in our libraries
- our customer centre in Hove can provide help no how to access the checklist
- Training on completing our sustainability checklist can be arranged if needed. For further details please email email@example.com or call 01273 290486 / 292109.
- If you do not have access to a computer to complete the checklist or have difficulty getting to the city direct office in Hove Town Hall and/or a library we will take reasonable practicable steps to help you and address your needs. We will aim to respond to your request within 20 working days. Please call 01273 290486 / 292109 or write to Brighton & Hove Sustainability Checklist, City Planning and Development, Brighton & Hove City Council, Kings House, room 201, Grand Avenue, Hove BN3 2LS.
Delivering good and advanced practice in sustainable development in Brighton & Hove
To view examples and statistics of sustainable development delivered in the city download our portfolio [PDF 1.6mb].
The sustainability checklist contains links to useful design advice. You can also download our factsheet [PDF 476kb] which aims to dispel some of the common misunderstandings around designing for sustainability.