Pre application planning advice service
Pre-application advice and planning performance agreements during the COVID-19 pandemic
Our pre-application service is continuing, using online conferencing and email. Please contact us in the usual way.
This will help all applicants to continue to get the best advice from the outset and to proceed through the application process as swiftly as possible during the current pandemic.
We offer pre-application advice to improve the quality of planning applications and to provide you with information about any likely issues with your planning application.
Early advice gives your application the best chance of success.
Discuss potential changes without pressure from the application deadline.
Apply and pay for pre-application advice Download the application form and find out how much pre-application advice costs.
How our pre-application advice service works
You can choose between:
- written ‘in principle' advice
- written 'in principle' advice and a meeting
You can also choose to have specialist officers to input into our advice and/or a site visit. We will also contact you if we feel specialist officers' advice is needed.
After you submit your request we will check to make sure that we’ve received the correct fee.
We'll check to make sure that sufficient information has been submitted. Once this is done your request is complete.
Small scale developments
We'll provide detailed written comments within 3 weeks of receiving a complete request or within 3 weeks of the date of our meeting.
Large, medium and listed building developments
We will provide our written comments within 4 weeks of receiving a complete request or within 4 weeks of the date of our meeting.
How our planning officers can help
They can provide:
- local knowledge and information on the relevant national and local planning policies and guidance
- relevant planning history
- advice on the procedure, consultation and estimated timescale of your application once submitted
- informal and without prejudice officer comments on the scheme
Larger proposals and planning performance agreements
We may need to hold further meetings before a formal application is submitted if your proposed development has:
- complex issues
- needs significant alterations to the scheme
Additional meetings will be subject to a further charge.
We may work with you to put a planning performance agreement in place. This sets out an agreed framework for taking your proposal forward.
We offer the DesignPLACE Review (Design Panel) service to all pre-application submissions for major schemes in the city.
Further information and help to submit a planning application
Please ensure that you are familiar with relevant planning policies, guidance and planning history when you prepare your proposals.
- Apply and pay for pre-application advice.
- Find policy advice and guidance.
- Find policies and guidance for householder proposals.
Information for householders on the Planning Portal website
The following guides are available on the Planning Portal website:
- interactive guide for houses
- interactive guide for terraces (including flats, shops and basements)
- common projects
- Portals FAQ - covers planning permission and building regulations
Local plan policies and guidance
Please be familiar with the policies in the emerging City Plan.
The following additional guidance is available: