Planning permission for small houses in multiple occupation 

In Brighton & Hove planning permission is required to change the use of a single dwelling house (defined as use class C3) to a property lived in by 3 or more people where facilities such as a kitchen or bathroom are shared (C4 use class). This is because the Council has implemented an ‘Article 4 Direction’ to remove national permitted development rights.

There is no need to apply for planning permission for properties that were already in Class C4 use within the wards of Hanover and Elm Grove, Hollingdean and Stanmer, Moulsecoomb and Bevendean, Queens Park and St Peters and North Laine before 5 April 2013 or elsewhere in the city before 3 June 2020.

You should seek to secure your own evidence, such as copies of tenancy agreements, to show that the property was in Class C4 use on or before the relevant date. You could also apply to the city council for a Certificate of Lawful Use. There would be a fee for this certificate. If you are in any doubt you should seek independent advice.

Map of existing HMOs

Our map shows properties that are currently recorded as being houses in multiple occupation.

Making a planning application

For a change of use application we would expect a site plan and floor plans

Licensing houses in multiple occupation

As well as planning permission, HMOs also need to be licensed.