Apply and pay for pre-applicaton advice
How to get pre-application advice
When you submit your request for pre-application advice it’s important that you:
- submit the supporting documents and drawings
- pay the correct fee
The quality of the advice we can give depends on the information you submit.
You have a maximum of 3 weeks to pay. We will withdraw your application without notice if the correct fee has not been sent within 3 weeks.
We will start working on your submission when we’ve received everything, including any additional fees for a site visit or involvement of specialist officers
How much pre-application advice costs
The cost depends on the size of your development.
There are extra costs (including VAT) if we need to:
- do a site visit - this costs £80 per hour, per planning officer
- involve other council officers - this costs £72 per hour, per specialist
We will contact you to make arrangements and agree any extra costs before we start working on your submission.
Large scale developments (major proposals)
- Written response costs £300
- Meeting and written response costs £900
Medium scale developments
- Written response costs £228
- Meeting and written response costs £678
Small scale developments and listed buildings
- Written response costs £114
- Meeting and written response costs £414
Large scale developments include
- Residential - 10 or more units/dwellings of residential accommodation
- Site area exceeding 0.5 hectares where it is not known how many units are being created
- Non-residential development of 1000 square metres or more
- Development site area is 1 hectare or more
We also offer DesignPLACE reviews for all major proposals for the city.
Medium scale developments include
- Residential developments up to 10 dwellings
- Commercial developments up to 1000 square metres of floorspace
- Change of use (including House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
- Prior approval changes of use
- Telecommunications Equipment
Small scale developments include
- All householder developments (extension, conversions, lofts, windows, porches, garages and outbuildings, swimming pools, walls and fences, hardstandings and access for vehicles, satellite dishes)
- Certificates of lawful development
- Listed building proposals - all internal and some external alterations to Listed Buildings that fall in the small scale category (including boundary walls)
Find out more about our pre-application advice service.
Find out about DesignPLACE review.