Heritage news, consultations and FAQs
Information and advice about listed properties.
Review of the local list
The council is undertaking a 5 year review of the Local List of Heritage assets. This will update existing list entries where new information has come to light and will assess those further nominations that have been put forward within the past five years since the Local List was comprehensively reviewed. This includes those submitted to us under the recent call for nominations.
We are now assessing the nominations and additional information and will report the updated Local list to the Tourism, Equalities, communities and Culture Committee later in 2021.
Queen's Park conservation area Article 4 Directions
The council has formally confirmed an Article 4 Direction that introduces additional planning controls on alterations to buildings within the Queen's Park conservation area. This Direction will come into effect on 4 June 2022. Read about Queen's Park conservation area.
Frequently asked questions
- Is my property listed?
- Do I need listed building consent?
- How do I get a building listed/de-listed?
- Where can I find information on the history of my property or area?
- Is my property in a conservation area?
- How does living in a conservation area affect me?
- What is a locally listed heritage asset?
- What is an Article 4 Direction?
- I want to prune/fell a tree. Do I need consent?
- How do I report possible unauthorised works to an historic building?
- How do I report a building in disrepair?
- How do I report the removal of an historic street light or paving?
- Does the council provide grants for historic buildings?
Common types of work
- Maintenance of historic buildings
- Windows (including replacing windows with double glazing), doors, roof coverings, chimneys, porches, render, mouldings, flint, balconies and boundary treatments: guidance and policy is available in the Supplementary Planning Document on Architectural Features.
- Roof Alterations and Extensions
- Damp Treatment
- External Painting
- Repointing Walls