Party Wall Act

The Party Wall Act.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 came into force on 1 July 1997 throughout England and Wales.

If you intend to carry out building work which involves one of the following categories:

    • work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property (section 2 of the Act)                   
    • building a free standing wall, or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property (section 1 of the Act)                  
    • excavating near a neighbouring building (section 6 of the Act)

you must find out whether that work falls within the Act. First read the Party Wall Act, explanatory booklet [PDF 597Kb]. If it does you must notify all affected neighbours.

If you need to contact Party Wall Surveyor you can view a list of local surveyors [PDF 76kb], or conduct a search via this link to find a suitable contact.