Building Control news
Building Control Surveyors now are able to make site inspections from 9.00 am in the mornings until 2.00pm in the afternnoons. From 2.30 until 4.00 surveyors will generally be available on the telephone to answer queries and take appointments for visits on the following day.
Hopefully this will more convenient for contractors and contact with surveyors more reliable.
We still aim to be flexible so if you particularly need an afternoon site visit this can still be arranged and you can still contact our administration section between 9.00am and 5.00pm.
Please remember however to try to make appointments for site visits on the preceeding day.
Feel free to let us have your comments on this new procedure
We have now published a set of design guides to assist in the understanding of what accessibilty means in terms of good building design and the requirements of the Approved Document M.
For further information please go to our Guides to Accessible Design page.
Safety Alert on Gas Flues in voids
The Health and Safety Executive have issued a safety alert regarding flues concealed in voids. To link through to this web page please click here: hse gas flue alert
New Fire Law
On 1 October 2006, the new Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 came into effect, applying to virtually all premises, except private domestic dwellings.
All persons having responsibility for the premises have a duty to ensure the fire safety of anybody in or in the vicinity of their premises.
If you are in such a position to be reponsible for the premesis and require further information please link through to the following web sites:
- Government web site - www.firesafetyguides.communities.gov.uk
- East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service - www.esfrs.org
or telephone East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service 0845 130 8855
Changes to the regulations
Part P Electrical Safety
Since 1 January 2005 there has been a completely new regulation, Approved Document P, covering domestic electrical installations. We have published a brief guide (Information Sheet 16 [PDF 158kb]) to explain the implications of this new regulation.
Changes to Part P
Useful links for Approved Document P
- Comprehensive information about BS 7671:2001 (the IEE Wiring Regulations, 16th Edition), which forms the basis for the Part P Approved Document, can be found on the IEE web site at www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/
The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers www.napit.org.ukHouseholders guide published by the ODPM
For technical queries
If you require specific technical advice these contacts may be of help:
- NICEIC Technical Helpline - 0870-013-0431
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology technical helpline -01438-765599
Recognised bodies administering self certification schemes
- British Standards Association www.bsi-global.com
- ELECSA Limited www.elecsa.org.uk
- The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting www.niceic.org.uk
- The Electrical Contractors Association www.eca.co.uk