Sustainable Travel Transition Year Fund
In February 2016, the Department for Transport invited bids for funding from transport authorities in England (excluding London), to deliver sustainable transport projects which support delivery of the Local Transport white paper ‘Creating Growth, Cutting Carbon’.
We submitted a bid in March 2016 to deliver a project to encourage sustainable transport use in the east of Brighton & Hove (PDF 1MB). We were awarded £485,000 by the Department for Transport in May 2016.
The project will run until April 2017, and the main aims of the fund are to:
- support the local economy and help economic development
- reduce carbon emissions
- help to deliver wider social and economic benefits (such as access to employment, education and services)
- actively promote increased levels of physical activity through walking and cycling.
Our bid will maximise opportunities to engage with local communities, businesses, schools and individuals to make sustainable travel the first choice when moving in, around and through the city. They will support the economic development of the area, and encourage the take up and maintenance of a shift to walking and cycling. View our funding bid (PDF 800KB).
Our focus during 2016/17 will be as follows:
- Personalised travel planning
- Business and university travel planning
- School and Special Educational Needs (SEN) travel planning
- Adult cycle and maintenance training
- Road safety campaigns
- Walking and cycling permeability (making improvements to the highways to make it easier for people to walk or cycle)
- Pedestrian wayfinding.
- Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership
- Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company
- Brighton & Hove Economic Partnership
- Community Works
- Sustrans ‘Bike it’ Project
- Brighton & Hove City Council Public Health Team
- Brighton Area Buswatch
If you live, work or travel through the area, opportunities to be involved in the project will be listed on this page.
If you have any questions or if you’re a business interested in taking part please email email@example.com