Apply for, replace or update your details of an older person’s bus pass

We are aware of an issue affecting this web page which may result in an unsuccessful payment message being displayed after you have paid. The payment system is working, it's only the messages that are affected. Please make sure that you only make the payment once as trying several times may result in multiple payments being debited from your account.

If you have tried to pay and the money has not come out of your account by the following day, please send us an email at or by telephone on 01273 291924. Please note, we can only check if payments have been successful the day after the transaction.

Concessionary Travel Team

Staff are currently working from home and are unable to offer a counter service.

We're still issuing bus passes within our normal time frames. This is currently between 4 to 6 weeks from the start of application.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Most bus passes that are due to expire in October and November will be automatically renewed and sent to customers.

If you have not used your bus pass within the last 12 months or are not named on the Council Tax bill then you will need to contact us to renew.

If you apply by post there may be a delay in processing your application because we're reducing staff time in the office.

Please apply online if you can or email us a scanned copy of your application.

The customer service counter is still closed at the moment. 

You can still:

Apply for your pass

Eligibility for an older person's bus pass

You will be eligible for an older person’s bus pass on your 66th birthday.

Find out your eligibility date on GOV.UK.

Companion passes

Brighton & Hove City Council does not issue companion passes. Companion passes issued by other authorities are not valid for travel within Brighton & Hove.

If you're an unpaid carer, you may be able to get discounted travel from the bus company. 

Frequently asked questions 

How do I renew my bus pass?

You will receive a new bus pass automatically if your pass has been issued based on your age. If you have not used your bus pass within the last 12 months, have moved within the last 5 years or are not named on the Council Tax bill then you will need to contact us by email or phone to renew.

If you haven't received your renewed bus pass 3 weeks before your pass expires, please contact us on 01273 291 924. If you leave a voicemail, a member of staff will phone you back between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Alternatively, please send us an email with your full name, date of birth and current address so we can look into this for you.

If you have moved out of Brighton and Hove, you will need to let us know and apply for a new bus pass with your current Local Authority.

What should I do if I lose my bus pass?

If you would like to order a replacement, the easiest way to do this is online.

You’ll be charged £10 for a replacement bus pass. This fee is non-refundable.

What should I do if my bus pass is damaged or not working?

You will need to order a replacement and return your damaged bus pass to us.

The easiest way to order a replacement is online.

There is no charge for this if the damaged pass is returned. If we do not receive the damaged pass back it will be classed as lost and a charge of £10 will be payable.

What should I do if my bus pass is stolen?

You can request a replacement bus pass if you have a crime reference number.

The easiest way to order a replacement is online.

You’ll be charged £10 for a replacement bus pass. This fee is non-refundable.

Where and when can I use the bus pass?



Weekends and bank holidays

Brighton & Hove

9am to 3:59am

All day

Rest of England

9.30am to 11pm

All day

Find information about Brighton & Hove night buses.

You can’t use your bus pass on trains, sightseeing buses, scheduled coach services, or outside of England.

How to apply for an older person's bus pass

The easiest way to apply for a bus pass is online.

You can also download an application form and post this to us with your supporting documentation. 

Brighton & Hove City Council are unable to refund bus pass fares while applications for new or replacement passes are being processed.

Please note that the bus passes are not made at Hove Town Hall. We need to order them from a separate company who will then send it to you directly.

To apply you will need:

  • proof of your age
  • proof of your address
  • a photograph of you

If you are sending these documents by post please only send photocopies. Brighton & Hove City Council cannot be held responsible for documents that are lost in the post.

Proof of your age - This must show your current name and date of birth:

  • birth certificate and marriage certificate if applicable
  • driving licence – current or expired, photocard only
  • passport – current or expired
  • residence permit

Proof of your address in Brighton & Hove - This must be dated within the last 3 months.

This can be any letter which has been sent to you. A Council Tax bill can be used if it is dated for the current year.


You will need one recent passport style colour photograph with a plain light background. A photograph may be taken on a smartphone or camera and emailed to us. Headwear, unless for religious or medical purposes, and sunglasses are not to be worn.