Drink OR Drive
Driving under the influence of drink or drugs is illegal - plan your journey using alternative transport
Over the last five years alcohol related collisions in Sussex have cost society £197,770,000. Almost one fifth of fatal collisions in Sussex were alcohol related. These figures are far too high.
Anti drink-drive operations happen throughout the year. Police can also breathalyse any drivers they have stopped if they suspect they have been drinking. They can also test at the roadside for drug use.
To be absolutely sure the safe limit for driving is no alcohol whatsoever. Even small amounts of alcohol can impair driving ability even if you're still under the drink drive limit. It is now also recognised that drug use can significantly affect your ability to drive safely - the risks and penalties are the same. Don't drive impaired by drugs or alcohol - or take a lift as a passenger from an impaired driver.
- pavilions.org.uk - Drug & Alcohol support, advice and information for over 18's in Brighton & Hove
- Journey on which has a journey planning feature covering the whole city. Use JourneyOn to plan your journey home before you go out.
- Traveline South East has journey planner for south east region.
- ru-ok local drug/alcohol awareness support agency for under 18's and their carers in Brighton & Hove
- YMCA Safe Space - St Paul's Church West St - open Friday.Saturday 11pm - 3:30pm
Plan B - getting home at night
Plan B is a card that fits in your wallet with all the night time travel information for nights out in Brighton & Hove. Sussex Safer Roads Partnership and the council want to make everyone aware of the night bus, train and taxi services in the city and surrounding areas. The cards are updated with timetable changes twice a year and are available at venues throughout the city. If anyone finds themselves in a situation where they don’t feel comfortable getting into a vehicle with a driver, we want people to have a ‘Plan B’ for getting home at their fingertips, regardless of how much battery, data allowance or credit they have left on their phones. There are also details of city drug and alcohol services, how to report a suspected drink-driver and links to wider night time travel options across the south east.
Bus timetable changes
Brigthon & Hove Buses are also planning changes to bus timetables from 14 January 2018 which have affected night bus timings.
Download the new timetables:
Night buses – All night every night (note above please - below only before 14 January 2018)
From the Clock Tower Stop N or L (by Boots/The Quadrant pub)
- N7 to County Hospital, Marina – From 12.30am, every 30 mins until 5am (hourly Sunday)
- N7 to Hove Station, George St – From 12.33am, every 30 mins until 5.03am (hourly Sunday)
From Old Steine stop F
- N25 to Lewes Road, Universities - From 12.21am, every 10mins Mon - Sat term time, every 30 mins Sun & non term time
Nightclub buses - Monday to Saturday nights only
From Churchill Square
- N1 - To County Hospital and Whitehawk - From stop H - At 1.04am, every 30 mins, 4.09am and 5.09am (Sun 1.34am, 3.04am)
- N1 - To Mile Oak, Downs Park and Portslade Station - From stop C - At 12.13am every 30 mins, 3.19am and 4.19am (Sun12.43am, 2.13am)
- N5 - To Hove and Hangleton - From stop B - At 1.22am, 2.12am, 3.02am, 3.52am and 4.42am
- N5 - To Patcham and Hollingbury - From stop F - At 12.25am, 1.15am, 2.05am, 2.55am, 3.45am and 4.35am
- N8 (Fri-Sat only) - To Henfield/Cowfold/Southwater/Horsham - From stop F - 12.57am, 03.20am
- N12 - To Saltdean, Peacehaven, Newhaven and Seaford - From stop E - At 3.21am
- N12 - To Saltdean, Peacehaven, Newhaven, Seaford and Eastbourne - stop E - From stop E - At 3.21am
- N14 - To Satldean/North Peacehaven/ Newhaven -s top E 12.56am, 2.06am
- N14 - To Saltdean, Peacehaven, Newhaven and Seaford - From stop E - At 3.21am
- N29 (Saturday night only) - To Lewes, Ringmer and Uckfield - From stop G - At 1.36am
- N700 (Thursday to Saturday night only) - To Worthing, Littlehampton and Arundel - From stop D - At 12.38am, 1.38am, 2.38am and 3.38am
Last trains from Brighton to:
- Haywards Heath and London: Monday to Friday 0.10am, 3.46am, 4.15am, Saturday 11.37pm, 0.10am, 3.52am Sunday 11.08pm, 0.10am, 3.50am
- Shoreham and Worthing: 0.04am every night
- Lewes, Newhaven and Seaford: 1136pm every night apart from (Sunday 11.39pm)
- Polegate and Eastbourne: 11.36pm
- Brighton & Hove Streamline 01273 202020 or 747474
- Brighton & Hove Radio Cabs 01273 204060 or 414141
- City Cabs 01273 205205