Breeze up to the Downs!
Breeze Buses Restart Sunday 12 July!
We’re very pleased to say that we’re able to restart all three Breeze bus routes on Sunday 12 July. The 77 to Devil’s Dyke will run weekends only and the 78 to Stanmer Park and 79 to Ditchling Beacon will run to their usual summer weekend timetables.
Summer Timetables from 12 July 2020
All three Breeze bus routes will run every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday.
- Route 77 Brighton Pier to Devil’s Dyke – Weekend Timetables
- Route 78 Brighton Old Steine to Stanmer Park – Weekend Timetables
- Route 79 Brighton Old Steine to Ditchling Beacon – Weekend Timetables
- Coronavirus: Plan for a Safer Journey
Follow this link to Plan Your Journey in Real Time.
The South Downs by bus
Breeze up to the Downs is a network of three bus services 77, 78 and 79. The buses link the city with some of its most popular countryside destinations within the South Downs National Park and Stanmer Park.
These services are provided by a partnership between Brighton & Hove City Council, The National Trust, the South Downs National Park Authority and Brighton & Hove Buses.
Did you know you can breeze up to the Downs every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday except Christmas Day?
The 77, 78 and 79 buses to Devil’s Dyke, Stanmer Park and Ditching Beacon will get you out to the stunning South Downs from the city centre in fewer than 30 minutes.
Breeze out of Brighton on the Bus
There’s an exciting new brochure highlighting bus services between the city and the South Downs and other leisure attractions.
Produced in partnership with Brighton & Hove Buses - and with input from the South Downs National Park and National Trust – the brochure contains details for the buses to Devil’s Dyke, Stanmer Park and Ditchling Beacon, which are partly council-funded.
The brochure also has a map showing all the exciting places that you can reach by bus from the city, plus suggested walks and things to do. Wakehurst Place, Drusillas Zoo and Steyning are just some of the many interesting destinations featured.
Brighton & Hove Buses will be publishing a new edition of the Breeze out of Brighton on the Bus brochure (PDF 4.27) twice a year, in partnership with the council’s communications team.
Fares (Cash or Contactless)
- Service 77 to Devil’s Dyke: £3 single, £5 return
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park: £2.70 single and £5 return
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon: £3 single, £5 return
- Return tickets can be used to return from Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchling Beacon: so they are ideal for walkers too!
- Special return fare of £3.20 on Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon from any bus stop on Ditchling Road.
- £2 return from Wild Park (Ditchling Road, Hollingbury) to Ditchling Beacon (or £1.90 single).
- £2 return from Tongdean Lane (on Dyke Road Avenue) to Devil's Dyke (or £1.90 single).
- Bus Pass holders travel free.
- Up to two children per adult travel free.
- Discovery Tickets offer one day’s unlimited bus travel in Sussex, Surrey, Kent and East Hampshire. Issued and accepted by all bus companies: just buy on board the first bus you catch! Family (5 people, max 2 adults) £17.50, Adult £9, Child £7.20
- NetworkSAVER issued and accepted on all three routes. CitySAVER is not valid for travel to Devil's Dyke or Ditchling Beacon
For details of mobile or smart-ticketing prices, please follow this link: https://www.buses.co.uk/fares-and-tickets.
Train special offer
To encourage people from further afield not to drive to the area, people arriving by train can buy two 'Breeze' single or return journeys for the price of one (to Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchlinig Beacon). If you're travelling on your own you can get a third off the bus fare. Just show your rail tickets to the bus driver to take advantage of this great offer.
Please note your train tickets must be valid for travel to Brighton or Hove. This special offer does not apply to 'SAVER' or Discovery tickets.
Visiting the South Downs
The South Downs National Park has produced a variety of publications that offer information on walks and cycle rides, places to visit and eat, and upcoming events. Check the South Downs National Park website for more information.
Please contact us if you would like us to send you a set of these leaflets at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01273 292480.
- Comments or questions about Breeze: email@example.com or phone 01273 292480
- Journey planning and real time bus information in and around Brighton & Hove
- Journey planning and bus timetables around the South East or phone traveline on 0871 200 22 33
- Enjoying the South Downs