Breeze up to the Downs
Information about our bus services within the city that visit the South Downs national park.
Breeze Buses run every weekend
Throughout the year, the 3 Breeze bus routes, which link the city with Devil’s Dyke, Stanmer Park and Ditchling Beacon, run every Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday (except December 25).
In High Summer the 77 to Devil’s Dyke runs 7 days a week.
The buses run every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday (except 25 December) throughout the year.
Route number 77 to Devil’s Dyke also runs daily from mid-June until 30 August.
The South Downs by bus
Breeze up to the Downs is a network of 3 bus services 77, 78 and 79. The buses link the city with some of its most popular countryside destinations within the South Downs National Park and Stanmer Park.
These services are provided by a partnership between:
- Brighton & Hove City Council
- The National Trust
- South Downs National Park Authority
- Brighton & Hove Buses
The 77, 78 and 79 buses to Devil’s Dyke, Stanmer Park and Ditching Beacon will get you out to the stunning South Downs from the city centre in fewer than 30 minutes.
Breeze out of Brighton on the bus
There’s an exciting new brochure highlighting bus services between the city and the South Downs and other leisure attractions.
Produced in partnership with Brighton & Hove Buses - and with input from the South Downs National Park and National Trust – the brochure contains details for the buses to Devil’s Dyke, Stanmer Park and Ditchling Beacon, which are partly council-funded.
The brochure also has a map showing all the exciting places that you can reach by bus from the city, plus suggested walks and things to do.
Wakehurst Place, Drusilla's Park Steyning and the One Garden Brighton Walled Garden at Stanmer Park, recently restored as part of the Stanmer Park Restoration Project, are just some of the many interesting destinations featured.
Brighton & Hove Buses publish a new edition of the Breeze up to the Downs and beyond leaflet twice a year, in partnership with the council’s communications team.
- download the Breeze up to the Downs leaflet as a pdf
- view an accessible version of the Breeze up to the Downs leaflet
Fares (cash or contactless)
- Service 77 to Devil’s Dyke: £3 single, £5 return
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park: £2.70 single and £5 return
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon: £3 single, £5 return
- Return tickets can be used to return from Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchling Beacon: so they are ideal for walkers too!
- Special return fare of £3.20 on Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon from any bus stop on Ditchling Road.
- £2 return from Wild Park (Ditchling Road, Hollingbury) to Ditchling Beacon (or £1.90 single).
- £2 return from Tongdean Lane (on Dyke Road Avenue) to Devil's Dyke (or £1.90 single).
- Bus Pass holders travel free.
- Up to two children per adult travel free.
- Discovery Tickets offer one day’s unlimited bus travel in Sussex, Surrey, Kent and East Hampshire. Issued and accepted by all bus companies: just buy on board the first bus you catch! Family (5 people, max 2 adults) £17.50, Adult £9, Child £7.20
- NetworkSAVER issued and accepted on all three routes. CitySAVER is not valid for travel to Devil's Dyke or Ditchling Beacon
Find more details of mobile or smart-ticketing prices.
Bike it by Bus!
Buses on the 78 and 79 routes to Stanmer Park and Ditchling Beacon have space on board for 2 bikes. There’s no charge for bikes and it’s first come, first served.
Please follow the driver’s instructions and make sure your bike is secured safely. Please note that wheelchairs and buggies have priority on board the bus.
Train special offer
To encourage people from further afield not to drive to the area, people arriving by train can buy 2 'Breeze' single or return journeys for the price of one (to Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchlinig Beacon).
If you're travelling on your own you can get a third off the bus fare. Just show your rail tickets to the bus driver to take advantage of this great offer.
Your train tickets must be valid for travel to Brighton or Hove. This special offer does not apply to 'SAVER' or Discovery tickets.
Visiting the South Downs
The South Downs National Park has produced a variety of publications that offer information on walks and cycle rides, places to visit and eat, and upcoming events. Check the South Downs National Park website for more information.
Please contact us if you would like us to send you a set of these leaflets at email@example.com or phone 01273 292 480.
- Comments or questions about Breeze: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01273 292 480
- Journey planning and real time bus information in and around Brighton & Hove
- Journey planning and bus timetables around the South East or phone traveline on 0871 200 22 33
- Enjoying the South Downs