Breeze up to the Downs!
Sunday 24 February: Changes to Bus Services During the Brighton Half Marathon
Service 77: The 0900, 1015 and 1130 buses from Brighton Pier to Devil’s Dyke will instead start from Churchill Square. Stops at Brighton Pier, Ship Street, BAi360 and Clarence Square will not be served. The 1245 bus from Brighton Pier will start from Old Steine stop U, and will then serve Churchill Square – but will not serve Ship Street, BAi360 or Clarence Square. Buses leaving Devil’s Dyke at 09.37 and 10.52 will terminate at the Clock Tower (Imperial Arcade).
Service 78: The 1000 and 1100 buses from Old Steine to Stanmer Park will instead start from Brighton Station. They will follow a diversion route to London Road Shops, then normal route. Bus stops at North Street and Clock Tower will not be served. Buses leaving Stanmer Park at 1030 and 1130 will be unable to serve St Peter’s Church, North Road or Old Steine. They will be diverted to Brighton Station, after London Road Shops.
Service 79: The 1015 and 1115 buses from Old Steine to Ditchling Beacon will instead start from Brighton Station. They will follow a diversion route to London Road Shops, then normal route. Bus stops at North Street and Clock Tower will not be served. The bus leaving Ditchling Beacon at 1045 will be unable to serve St Peter’s Church, North Road or Old Steine. It will be diverted to Brighton Station, after London Road Shops.
The South Downs by bus
Breeze up to the Downs is a network of three bus services 77, 78 and 79. The buses link the city with some of its most popular countryside destinations within the South Downs National Park and Stanmer Park.
These services are provided by a partnership between Brighton & Hove City Council, The National Trust, the South Downs National Park Authority and Brighton & Hove Buses.
Did you know you can breeze up to the Downs every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday except Christmas Day?
The 77, 78 and 79 buses to Devil’s Dyke, Stanmer Park and Ditching Beacon will get you out to the stunning South Downs from the city centre in fewer than 30 minutes.
Autumn / Winter Timetables from 16 September 2018 to 27 April 2019
Bus services 77 to Devil’s Dyke, 78 to Stanmer Park and 79 to Ditchling Beacon will run every weekend and on bank holidays.
Full details of times, tickets and discounts at pubs and cafes can be found in the individual route guides linked below:
- Service 77 to Devils Dyke timetable and travel guide (PDF 1MB)
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park timetable and travel guide (PDF 2MB)
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon timetable and travel guide (PDF 1MB)
- Service 77 to Devil’s Dyke: £3 single, £5 return
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park: £2.60 single and £5 return
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon: £3 single, £5 return
- Return tickets can be used to return from Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchling Beacon: so they are ideal for walkers too!
- Special return fare of £3 on Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon from any bus stop on Ditchling Road.
- £2 single or return from Wild Park (Ditchling Road, Hollingbury) to Ditchling Beacon
- £2 single or return from Tongdean Lane (on Dyke Road Avenue) to Devil's Dyke.
- Bus Pass holders travel free.
- Up to two children per adult travel free.
- Discovery Tickets offer one day’s unlimited bus travel in Sussex, Surrey, Kent and East Hampshire. Issued and accepted by all bus companies: just buy on board the first bus you catch! Family (5 people, max 2 adults) £17.50, Adult £9, Child £7.20
- NetworkSAVER issued and accepted on all three routes. CitySAVER is not valid for travel to Devil's Dyke or Ditchling Beacon
Train special offer
To encourage people from further afield not to drive to the area, people arriving by train can buy two single or return journeys for the price of one. If you're travelling on your own you can get a third off the bus fare. Just show your rail tickets to the bus driver to take advantage of this great offer.
Please note your train tickets must be valid for travel to Brighton or Hove. This special offer does not apply to 'SAVER' or Discovery tickets.
Visiting the South Downs
The South Downs National Park has produced a variety of publications that offer information on walks and cycle rides, places to visit and eat, and upcoming events. Check the South Downs National Park website for more information.
Please contact us if you would like us to send you a set of these leaflets at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01273 292480.
- Comments or questions about Breeze: email@example.com or phone 01273 292480
- Journey planning and real time bus information in and around Brighton & Hove
- Journey planning and bus timetables around the South East or phone traveline on 0871 200 22 33
- Enjoying the South Downs