Better Bus Areas
How we improved Bus service throughout the city.
Edward Street Improvements
Background to the project
In June 2011 the council, in partnership with Brighton & Hove Bus Company, successfully bid for £3.4million additional transport funding from the Department for Transport to introduce bus service improvements to Edward Street, Eastern Road and Valley Gardens. The funding is provided through the government’s Better Bus Areas Fund (BBA) and has already been used to implement a wide range of bus service improvements including additional services on the 23, 38 and 48 routes. See the Better Bus Area bid document for further details (PDF 4.2mb).
What we did
- Works were undertaken in 2014 to introduce a 2 metre cycle lane on the east bound road from the junction with Pavilion Gardens to the Junction with Upper Rock Gardens
- Introduce a combined Bus, Taxi & Cycle Lane on the east bound road from the junction with Upper Rock Gardens to the junction with Freshfield Road
- Introduce a combined Bus, Taxi & Cycle Lane on the west bound road along the length of Edward Street.
- Provide a “green man” crossing on the eastern arm of the Upper Rock Gardens Junction
- Improve pedestrian crossing at the entrances to John and Tilstone Street
- Introduce advance stop lines for cyclists at signalised junctions
- Upgrade the pedestrian crossing outside the job centre
- Accessibility improvements to the east bound bus stop at Park Street
- Improve the central islands to create a nicer environment for all users
- Road plus footway resurfacing from Pavilion Gardens to Freshfield Road
The impacts of the works are currently being monitored but the expected benefits are:
- More people travelling by bus because of the quicker journeys and improved reliability
- More people cycling because of the improved conditions
- More people walking because of the improved environment
- Reduction in the amount of car traffic as some people choose to travel instead by bus, cycling or walking
- Improved air quality and reduction in carbon emissions
- Improved road safety for all road users
- Better access to the AMEX Building Hospital and other buildings along this road, meaning more people choosing to walk, cycle or take the bus instead of driving
You can view or download the Edward Street Better Bus Area consultation information and maps (PDF 473kb), but the consultation is now closed.
Please contact the Transport Projects Team on email@example.com.