Visitor Permits

Please Note: The Parking permit centre now closes at 1pm on Tuesdays

If you live in a controlled parking zone in the city, you can buy visitor parking permits which your visitors can use.

With a visitor parking permit your guests can park in permit bays or shared-use parking bays in the zone where you live.



  • sign up for an account with us as part of the application
  • be a resident of Brighton & Hove, over the age of 17
  • provide two recent proofs of address dated within the last three months. You can scan copies or take photos.

​​It will take up to five working days for us to send the visitor parking permit scratch cards out to you. If you need them sooner, you can get them in person at the parking permit centre at Hove Town Hall. Please remember to take your proofs of address with you.

Please Note: Landlords do not qualify for visitor’s permits.

​​Pricing and permit allocations

The amount of visitor permits you can buy depends on which zone you live in:

Zone Amount allowed Cost
L, P, S and W 100 £2.20
Y and Z 25 £4.50
M 50 £4.50
B and D 50 £2.60
All other zones 50 £3.50





How to use a visitor permit scratch card

Frequently asked questions

How do I apply and how do I get more?

To ensure we only issue visitor permits to Brighton & Hove residents, you will need to provide two proofs of address dated within three months of your application.

 If you're visiting the customer service centre or applying by post, then:

  • please complete the repeat request for visitor permits application form if you've bought permits for your address before;
  • otherwise please print and complete this application form.

You'll need to return your completed application to us along with two proofs of address, dated within three months.

Please send in copies of the documents. Do not send us originals.

How long do the permits last for?

The permits are valid for a minimum of 12 months. Every resident is entitled to a yearly allocation, which are valid as stated on each scratchcard. Permits cannot be used after the expiry date printed on them and cannot be refunded.

The permit allows parking for one calendar day.

What do I do if I move address?

If you have moved address you should let the council know immediately. You'll need to provide us with proof of your new address. If you still have valid permits for your old address, we may be able to swap them for permits valid within your new parking zone.

We only issue refunds for visitor permits if you are moving outside of the Controlled Parking Zone and your permits are still valid. To qualify, you must be moving to an area that does not have permit bays.

I have expired permits, what do I do?

Visitor permits are non-transferable and non-refundable. Expired permits cannot be used. Please ensure you do not buy more than you need.

Can I have more visitor permits once I have used my allocation?

We do not issue more permits than you are allowed except in extreme circumstances, such as a serious illness.

If you think that you should have more permits and there are mitigating circumstances please e-mail

I have received a Penalty Charge Notice when using a visitor permit what do I do?

You should check that you have used the permit in accordance with the conditions of use.

You should decide whether to:

Back to top