pay and display or permit holders sign

What shared use bays are for

A shared use bay is a parking bay which can be used by a permit holder and a pay and display ticket holder.

The sign will say 'Permit holder or Pay at Machine'. It will also state when the restriction applies.

Can I park in a shared use bay?

You can park in a shared use bay if you are displaying a:

  • pay and display ticket
  • resident permit
  • visitor permit
  • hotel permit
  • business permit
  • traders permit
  • council dispensation, also known as an essential council worker permit, for up to one hour

If using a permit please ensure that it is clearly displayed and that it is valid for the vehicle that it is displayed in. Please also ensure that you have completed the hotel permit or visitor permit in line with the conditions of use.  

If using a pay and display ticket please ensure it is clearly displayed with details, such as the expiry time, visible from the outside of the vehicle.

Can I park a motorcycle in a pay and display bay?

You cannot park in a pay and display bay with a motorcycle.

We provide free motorcycle parking throughout the city and you should leave your motorcycle in one of these bays.

Can I park a trike in a pay and display bay?

You can park a trike in a pay and display bay. Please ensure that you have somewhere secure to display the ticket so that it cannot easily fall off or be taken.

Why do we have shared use bays?

Shared use bays give everybody from residents, visitors, tourists and businesses opportunities to park in the city.

How do I know what restrictions there are?

The sign on the street will tell you this. If no times are shown the bay operates at all times, 24 hours a day and every day.

I have received a penalty charge notice when parking in a shared use bay, what do I do?

You should check that you are able to use the shared use bays and that the permit has been displayed in line with the terms and conditions of use.

You should check that the pay and display ticket was visible from the outside of the vehicle and the expiry time of your pay and display ticket.

You should then decide whether to: