Renew your resident permit
Renew your resident permit
If you have a parking ticket (penalty charge notice) registered with our enforcement agents then we reserve the right NOT to issue a parking permit.
From 3 April 2017 Low emission Diesel vehicles do not qualify for a discount and are charged at the full permit price
By renewing your Resident Permit online you confirm that the following statements are true:
- I confirm that I am over the age of 17
- I confirm that no off street parking is available at my address
- I confirm that I am a permanent resident of Brighton & Hove and understand that if I cease to live at this address I must contact the council or surrender my permit immediately
- I understand that if I change my vehicle I must contact the council or surrender the permit immediately
- I confirm that my property is not in a car free development
- I confirm that my property is not a holiday home
- I understand that the council may at a later date request proof of address and ownership of the vehicle (the vehicle must be registered to your Brighton & Hove address)
- I understand that I may be asked to provide eligibility and that if this cannot be provided within 14 working days my permit may be revoked
- I understand that Council Tax records may be inspected to assess eligibility
Any person knowingly making a false statement for the purposes of obtaining a resident permit is liable for a fine not exceeding Level Five (£5,000) or imprisonment for up to six months, or both a fine and imprisonment.
If you apply online with less than 5 working days we cannot guarantee your application will be processed and arrive before the expiry of your current permit.
If an expired permit is displayed in your vehicle then you could receive a penalty charge notice (PCN).
Questions about renewals
Can I renew online?
You can renew online if there are no changes to your permit details. If you have changed your name, moved or changed your vehicle we will need to see updated documents in order to alter your permit. We will only process permits where there are no changes to any details, for example, do not select a low emissions permit if you have not provided evidence of this previously.
What if I was asked to show an updated V5C (Vehicle Logbook)?
To ensure permits are only used by residents, we need to confirm that all vehicles with permits are kept and used at a Brighton & Hove address. If you have been told you need to provide an updated copy of your V5C please email a scan or photograph of the document showing the full front page to email@example.com. You can then proceed to renew online. Orders cannot be processed until all documentation has been received. Please be aware that you may be randomly selected to show us updated documentation as part of our ongoing fraud prevention strategy
How long will it take?
Please allow 5 working days for your new permit to arrive in the post. Be aware that for a permit to be valid it needs to be displayed in the vehicle. You can renew online at any time during the final month before your permit expires. Renew early to avoid delays and ensure your new permit is displayed before the old one expires. The new permit will include any unexpired time remaining on the previous one.
Where can I find my permit number?
Your permit number is listed on the renewal notice we will send to you roughly 4 weeks before your permit expires. You can also find your permit number on your permit; it begins with ‘R’ and is printed below the vehicle registration, for example: RN|12345
What kind of permit do I need?
There is a dropdown box on the payment page that displays your options. For most zones you have the option of a 3 or 12 month permit. For zones U & W, the options are 6 or 12 months. You can also choose a low emissions or blue badge discount if you have previously shown proof of eligibility. If you are unsure which permit you need, the second letter of your permit number tells you what zone you are in. Choose a permit type from the drop down menu and press ‘SELECT’ to refresh the page and display the correct price for your permit.
What if my permit has already expired?
If you need your permit urgently please visit the parking information centre with a recent proof of residency to renew your permit over the counter. You can still renew online, but please be aware that for a permit to be valid it needs to be displayed in the vehicle.