Parking suspension - Reserve a parking bay

A parking suspension is where someone reserves a parking space for a specific use. The restriction on the sign no longer applies because the bays are suspended for a particular reason and can only be used by those who have reserved the bay.

Apply online

The quickest way to apply for a parking suspension is online

To apply online please complete the reserve a parking bay online application form

Payment must be made in advance by either a debit or credit card

Please be aware that, due to resources, we cannot guarantee to be able to carry every suspension request, especially when there are major events in the city such as the Brighton Marathon and the Pride Parade.We will let you know if this happens and advise on the next available date a suspension can take place.

Taxi Ranks

Taxi ranks cannot be suspended in the same way as parking bays as they require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order.

If you require the use of a taxi rank please email

Bank Holidays

We are not able to offer a suspension service on Bank Holidays

What does the sign look like?

Parking suspension signA suspension sign is a bright yellow sign. It will say when and where the suspension is taking place.

Can I park in a suspended bay?

You can only park in a suspended bay if you have booked the suspension. If you park in a suspended bay you may be relocated and a Penalty Charge Notice issued.

Can I suspend a parking restriction?

You can suspend a parking space for the following reasons:

  • moving house
  • a wedding car
  • a funeral car
  • to place a skip (you will also need to obtain a skip licence from the Highways Enforcement team )
  • essential works such as gas, telephone and water line maintenance
  • special events
  • photo shoots
  • filming

We cannot do the following:

  • suspend yellow lines
  • if there are no road side restrictions for example if there is no resident permit scheme and no bays to suspend.
  • suspend unrestricted parking areas

How much notice do the council need?

We need seven days notice. If less than seven days notice is given, we will not be able to suspend a bay. For long term suspension requests, more notice may apply.

How much will it cost?

The cost will be £40 per bay per calendar day

You can pay by cash, cheque and credit or debit card (including American Express).

How many bays will I need?

Each bay is 5.5 metres in length. You should ensure that you suspend enough bays to enable a vehicle to be parked or for the section of parking spaces that needs to be worked on.

I am using a different vehicle to the one identified on my application what do I do?

You should call us on 01273 296622 and inform us immediately. If you do not then this vehicle may be removed from the bay.

What happens if someone parks in the suspended bay?

Only vehicles that have been identified on your application will be able to use the suspended bay.

NSL, our on-street parking enforcement team, check suspended bays early in the morning, on the day of suspension. If a vehicle is parked there, they may be authorised for relocation, even if the vehicle is displaying a Blue Badge or they were parked before the suspension signs were put up.

Please note:

The relocation service only runs until 12 midday and we cannot guarantee the relocation of offending vehicles.

How do I report a vehicle parked in a suspended bay that I have requested?

You should call 0345 603 5469 and select option 2 (leave Voicemail message if not answered). Please ensure that you have the details of where the suspension is and details of the vehicle parked in the suspended bay.

The relocation service only runs until 12 midday and we cannot guarantee the relocation of offending vehicles

What happens if I park in a suspended bay?

You may be issued with a Penalty Charge Notice and you are at risk of your vehicle being relocated.

Here are details of what to do if you have been issued with a Penalty Charge Notice.

If you encounter any difficulties and / or the enforcement of the suspension should be queried then this needs to be put in writing to the Council within 28 days of the suspension date

Back to top