Parking schemes, restrictions & legislation
We've produced a number of guides to explain parking restrictions in Brighton & Hove. The guides give information such as who can park there, whether the restriction applies on bank holidays and much more.
- Parking Bays including permit, shared use, pay and display, disabled bay and motorcycle bays
- Yellow lines including zigzags and pavement/verge parking
- Other types of bays such as car club bays, loading bays and ambulance bays
- Lines across private accesses (white return lines)
- Suspensions and how to suspend a parking restriction
- Electric vehicle charging points
- Double parking and dropped footways
- The rules on loading or unloading
- What to do if your vehicle has broken down
If you do not obey a parking restriction you may receive a penalty charge notice. Take a look at our top 10 tips for avoiding a Penalty Charge Notice.
If you see a vehicle parked where it should not be you can report it to us.
Information about Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO), consultations and legislation
- Requesting a restriction
- Traffic Regulation Orders
- Parking legislation including The Traffic Management Act 2004
- TRO proposals
- TRO recently finalised
Areas where on-street parking is controlled are called Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ). There is a timetable of CPZ's which has been agreed by the Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee (ETS Committee), which runs up till 2020/21 which covers areas which have petitioned or shown strong support to the council for CPZ's.
If residents in a particular area would like the Council to be aware of the strength of feeling for a CPZ then the best way forward is for residents to put together a petition and pass this to their Ward Councillors requesting that this petition is presented at a future ETS Committee.
This will enable the Council to gauge the strength of feeling for a CPZ in certain areas and whether there is Ward Councillor support. This would then be considered in a future report to the ETS Committee when the future parking scheme timetable is next considered.
- Find out more about Controlled Parking Zones in Brighton & Hove
- Residents Parking Scheme Priority Timetable (PDF 43KB)
Current consultations and reviews
- Hove Park area
- Hanover and Elm Grove area
- Coombe Road area
- Freshfield Street and Queens Park Rise
- Match Day Parking - Zones B and D