Parking schemes, restrictions & legislation
We've produced a number of guides to explain parking restrictions in Brighton & Hove. The guides give information such as who can park there, whether the restriction applies on bank holidays and much more.
- Parking Bays including permit, shared use, pay and display, disabled bay and motorcycle bays
- Yellow lines including zigzags and pavement/verge parking
- Other types of bays such as car club bays, loading bays and ambulance bays
- Lines across private accesses (white return lines)
- Suspensions and how to suspend a parking restriction
- Electric vehicle charging points
- Double parking and dropped footways
- The rules on loading or unloading
- What to do if your vehicle has broken down
If you do not obey a parking restriction you may receive a penalty charge notice. Take a look at our top 10 tips for avoiding a Penalty Charge Notice.
If you see a vehicle parked where it should not be you can report it to us.
Information about Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO), consultations and legislation
- Requesting a restriction
- Traffic Regulation Orders
- Parking legislation including The Traffic Management Act 2004
- TRO proposals
- TRO recently finalised
Areas where on-street parking is controlled are called Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ). There is a timetable of CPZ's which has been agreed by the Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee (ETS Committee), which runs up till 2023 which covers areas which have petitioned or shown strong support to the council for CPZ's.
If residents in a particular area would like the Council to be aware of the strength of feeling for a CPZ then the best way forward is for residents to put together a petition and pass this to their Ward Councillors requesting that this petition is presented at a future ETS Committee.
This will enable the Council to gauge the strength of feeling for a CPZ in certain areas and whether there is Ward Councillor support. This would then be considered in a future report to the ETS Committee when the future parking scheme timetable is next considered.
- Find out more about Controlled Parking Zones in Brighton & Hove
- Residents Parking Scheme Priority Timetable (PDF 36KB)
- Parking Scheme Priority Timetable report - 8th October 2019 (PDF 153KB)
Current consultations and reviews
- Hanover and Elm Grove area
- Coombe Road area
- Freshfield Street and Queens Park Rise
- Match Day Parking - Zones B and D
- South Portslade