Parking schemes, restrictions and legislation
Find information about parking restrictions, controlled parking zones and parking consultations.
We've produced a number of guides to explain parking restrictions in Brighton & Hove. The guides give information such as who can park there, whether the restriction applies on bank holidays and much more.
- Parking bays including permit, shared use, paid parking, disabled bay and motorcycle bays
- Lines across private accesses - white return lines
- Suspensions and how to suspend a parking restriction
- Electric vehicle charging points
- What to do if your vehicle has broken down
If you do not obey a parking restriction you may receive a penalty charge notice.
If you see a vehicle parked where it should not be you can report it to us.
Other information you may find useful is the Highway Code.
Information about Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO), consultations and legislation
Areas where on-street parking is controlled are called controlled parking zones (CPZs). There is a timetable of CPZs which has been agreed by the Environment, Transport and Sustainability committee (ETS committee), which runs up till 2023 which covers areas which have petitioned or shown strong support to the council for CPZs.
If residents in a particular area would like the council to be aware of the strength of feeling for a CPZ then the best way forward is for residents to put together a petition and pass this to their ward councillors requesting that this petition is presented at a future ETS committee.
This will enable the council to gauge the strength of feeling for a CPZ in certain areas and whether there is ward councillor support. This would then be considered in a future report to the ETS committee when the future parking scheme timetable is next considered.
- Find out more about controlled parking zones in Brighton & Hove
- Residents parking scheme priority timetable [PDF 36KB]
- Parking Scheme Priority Timetable report - 8 October 2019 [PDF 153KB]
Find current and previous parking consultations on our consultation portal.