Business permit renewal
Find out how to renew your business permit, how to check your vehicle's CO2 emissions and answers to frequently asked questions.
How to renew your business permit
By renewing your business permit online you confirm that the following statements are true:
- I confirm that the vehicle meets the weight, length and height requirements
- I confirm that the address stated above is my usual place of business
- I confirm that no off street parking is available
- I understand that each business is allowed a maximum of 2 business permits
- I understand that if the business ceases to operate then I must surrender the permit
- I understand that if I cease to use the specified vehicle, as stated on the permit, I will surrender the permit or inform the council
- I confirm that the vehicle listed is required for business purposes and is not used for the sole purpose of commuting to work
- I understand that I may be asked for proof of eligibility and that if this cannot be provided within the timeframe specified the permit will be withdrawn
- I understand that business rates details may be checked to verify eligibility
- I declare that all the information given is correct and up to date
Any person knowingly making a false statement for the purposes of obtaining a resident permit is liable for a fine not exceeding Level 5 (£5,000) or imprisonment for up to 6 months, or both a fine and imprisonment.
Check your vehicle CO2 emissions before you pay
This can be found on your VC5 form or from the DVLA.
If you choose the wrong rate it will delay your permit.
To avoid delays check your vehicle CO2 emissions.
Please note, that Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) may be issued if the permit is not valid and displayed.
Questions about renewals
Can I renew online?
You can renew online if there are no changes to the permit details.
If the business has changed name, moved or the vehicle changed we will need to see updated documents in order to alter the permit.
We will only process permits where there are no changes to any details.
How long will it take?
All applications received by the 15th of the month will ensure receipt of the new permit by the end of that month, otherwise, please allow 7 working days for your permit to arrive.
Be aware that for a permit to be valid it needs to be displayed in the vehicle.
You can renew online at any time during the final month before your permit expires. Renew early to avoid delays and ensure your new permit is displayed before the old one expires. The new permit will include any unexpired time remaining on the previous one.
Where can I find the permit number?
Your permit number is listed on the renewal notice we will send to you roughly 4 weeks before your permit expires. You can also find your permit number on your permit; it begins with ‘B’ and is printed below the vehicle registration, for example: BN\12345
What kind of permit do I need?
We currently offer permits for 3- or 12-month periods.
Low emissions discounts on petrol vehicles now apply to traders permits where the vehicle emits less than 110g CO2/KM. The discount also applies to electric vehicles.
Do I need to show updated proof of trading?
A random selection of orders will be asked to supply an updated proof of trading. If asked, you can scan/photograph the relevant documents and upload them online.