Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
Find out how to apply for a Blue Badge, the documents you'll need and answers to frequently asked questions.
Service update: 1 March 2021
Blue Badge Team
From the 1 November 2020, expired Blue Badges can no longer be used and Penalty Charge Notices will be issued when an expired or invalid badge is displayed.
Due to the current situation relating to the Covid-19 pandemic, staff are working from home and are unable to offer a counter service.
We aim to continue to issue Blue Badges, however this may not be as swiftly as we would like.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, we hope to return to usual service standards as soon as possible.
If you apply by post there may be a delay in processing your application as we are reducing staff time in the office.
Applying for a Blue Badge
Please apply online whenever possible and contact us online in the first instance. This will help us keep within our timescales and ensure best customer service delivery. We appreciate your patience.
- Apply for a Blue Badge online Use the GOV.UK form - you will still need to send us documents to prove that you are eligible
- Download a Blue Badge application form to apply for a Blue Badge by post
To apply you will need:
- proof of your disability.
- proof of your identity.
- proof of your address.
- a photograph of you. Please email us a photograph of yourself where possible.
If you are sending documents by post, please only send photocopies. Brighton & Hove City Council cannot be held responsible for documents that are lost in the post.
Please note that the Blue Badges are not made at Hove Town Hall. We need to order them from a separate company who will then send it to you directly.
Applications can take up to 8-10 weeks to process once we have received all of the required documentation.
We will usually email you or write to you by post if further information is required.
You may need to have an eligibility assessment, which will be carried out over the telephone.
Frequently asked questions
Can I get a Blue Badge?
You may be eligible for a Blue Badge if you have any enduring (lasting for at least 3 years) and substantial disability that means you:
- drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all, or some types of parking meter
- have been certified by an expert assessor as having an enduring and substantial disability which causes you, during the course of a journey, to be unable to walk, experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress
- may be at risk of serious harm when walking - or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person
How do I renew my Blue Badge?
Each renewal is treated like a new application, to make sure we only issue Blue Badges to those who meet the criteria.
If you have moved address within the last 3 years and have not informed us, then we may not hold your current contact details. Please contact us if your details have changed.
Please note that it remains the responsibility of the badge holder to be aware of when the badge is expiring, and to ensure it is renewed in time.
What do I do if the Blue Badge is no longer required?
If the Blue Badge is no longer required it must be returned to Brighton & Hove City Council.
You can return it by post to the below address. Please include a covering note explaining why the badge has been returned.
The customer service counter is closed.
To contact us you can:
- Post documents to; the Blue Badge Team, G39 Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove, BN3 3BQ.
- Telephone 01273 296 270 - Please leave a voicemail and a member of our team will phone you back.
Send an email to BlueBadgeParking@brighton-hove.gov.uk